Keep calm...we're not a good team

Bahama O's Fan

That is the reality of the situation. We have perhaps the least talented team in baseball right now. I was kinda hoping to win 2 games out of this first 9. We have four down already. Our pitching is REALLY REALLY BAD! Sadly, there are no young guys knocking the door down to get up here. Someone has to pitch the 1,458 innings (if we play no extras). We will give up a lot of runs. Hopefully, our offense can put a few up themselves and we can hang with some teams like we have done. This year is about player development and seeing who is a part of the organization long term. (which is why we need to move Davis and Trumbo off the team). So forget about the wins and losses (but enjoy the wins when we do) and watch the guys play ball. Also, I love ribbing Yankee fans whenever we have beat them or come close with things like "You guys must really suck if we beat your. We're the worst team in baseball and you almost lost to us. How bad are your Yankees this season"

• Upvote 2

I’m sure there are more ways to get through this rebuild without pulling our hair out than what I’m listing, but all I have right now are:

1. Listen on the radio as opposed to seeing it burned into my brain as lingering frustrations on TV (I dropped MASN and much of my satellite TV programming). What you can’t see is easier to forget. To be casually involved in the games while doing other things with the radio on with the understanding they’re just not good does help me get through this. This way, I can be happy when some pleasant surprise happens, yet understanding that Davis will be horrible, Trumbo will be back and displace some youngster, the bullpen will blow a lot of games, the starting pitching will be uneven at best, and the guys we are pulling for on the farm are going to take some time to get called up.  

2. If you do watch the games, kind of squint your eyes so you’re not watching very closely. Kind of like smearing Vaseline on a camera lens. Though this is a metaphor, it’s kind of what I’m really doing. I’m following the O’s, but not every burp and hiccup. It’ll drive you crazy to hang on every move. It will for me, at least. Those that do, hat’s off to you. You have a higher tolerance for pain than I do. 

I support this rebuild and am glad we did not bring back aging veterans just for the sake of team leadership. The leaders will emerge and may already be there for all we know. The talent is just not there, but I have hopes that it will be over time. There was that same debate going on over at the Facebook OH page. I’m glad there’s a lot more reason and patience over here. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, oriole said:

We got spoiled with a good road trip to start the year but I don’t think many of us changed our expectations of the season. I’m still happy to be watching baseball.

This team is overmatched but they have fight in them. Last year’s team was checked out in the first month of the season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This team is overmatched but they have fight in them. Last year’s team was checked out in the first month of the season. 

Last year was a mess. I can only speculate but the team chemistry that seemed to propel the team into “sum greater than its parts” territory just wasn’t there. It seemed everyone became stuck in their ways and the cohesiveness was lacking. Just speculation of course. Anyways...this team has that underdog fight for the team attitude that I liked about Bucks earlier years in baltimore. They might lose but they’re fun to root for even if the results aren’t there. 

• Upvote 1

At the very least the team is doing well with scoring runs, something with which last year's team struggled mightily. As a result, the games have been a lot more enjoyable on that level. If the pitching ever starts to come around the team may actually be able to put together a decent season.