With the first overall pick in the 2019 draft the Orioles select....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, Can_of_corn said:

They used a first round draft pick on a SS last year.

What does that have to do with this year?  Not trying to be snarky, just don't understand the point.  If they think a SS is the best player there then take the SS.

14 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Bobby Witt. Clearly the right choice looking at the big picture.

3 to 4 Years away and HS players are usually a risk. I'll go with the guy hitting .430 playing against other future ML players.

2 hours ago, Orioles1954 said:

Would he stick as catcher? How is his defense? I almost want to lean toward a prospect like Witt Jr. who can play 162 if healthy.

There's like 5 Rutschman threads with answers to that.

11 hours ago, Orioles1954 said:

Would he stick as catcher? How is his defense? I almost want to lean toward a prospect like Witt Jr. who can play 162 if healthy.

Rutschman might be the best defensive catcher in college baseball. He's excellent defensively. But yeah, there is a ton of Rutschman info in a bunch of threads. 

At this point, Adley is the pick.  Somewhere there has to be the small matter of thinking...If I don’t pick him and then he becomes the next Johnny Bench for the Royals.....well, I am going to hear about it from Oriole fans for a really long time.  

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

At this point, Adley is the pick.  Somewhere there has to be the small matter of thinking...If I don’t pick him and then he becomes the next Johnny Bench for the Royals.....well, I am going to hear about it from Oriole fans for a really long time.  

Every mock so far has him as the O's pick, Jim Callis said that the Orioles are only really looking at Rutschman, Abrams, Witt, Vaughn, and Bishop for the pick.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, Luke-OH said:

Every mock so far has him as the O's pick, Jim Callis said that the Orioles are only really looking at Rutschman, Abrams, Witt, Vaughn, and Bishop for the pick.

So, who do YOU like?   Do they look to the guy that will sign for the least money so they can sign other guys?

23 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

So, who do YOU like?   Do they look to the guy that will sign for the least money so they can sign other guys?

Rutschman is easily the top player, that’s who I like.

I assume it is an insider piece but someone on twitter screenshot the top of Law’s draft order. Law has the Orioles taking Rutschman but also says they don’t clearly prefer him or Vaughn. Added he speculates they may take the one who takes the lower money. 

Also says Witt will go 2 and the college bat that isn’t picked 1st goes 3rd at earliest.  

31 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I assume it is an insider piece but someone on twitter screenshot the top of Law’s draft order. Law has the Orioles taking Rutschman but also says they don’t clearly prefer him or Vaughn. Added he speculates they may take the one who takes the lower money. 

Also says Witt will go 2 and the college bat that isn’t picked 1st goes 3rd at earliest.  

I saw that, I don’t think Law has better connections than Callis or McDaniel or BA. I’d imagine if that’s what’s out there on the rumor mill, that it’s with the intended purpose of getting Adley to agree to sign for less than full slot.

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I saw that, I don’t think Law has better connections than Callis or McDaniel or BA. I’d imagine if that’s what’s out there on the rumor mill, that it’s with the intended purpose of getting Adley to agree to sign for less than full slot.

I really hope so. I have 0 interest in picking a first baseman 1st overall. I don’t care if you save 3 million doing it. This is a thin draft to me, whoever you are going to get with that extra money is not worth it. If you don’t think Adley is worth it then go Witt or Abrams. I don’t care if he’s the next Goldschmidt, an above average SS has more value.

15 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

I really hope so. I have 0 interest in picking a first baseman 1st overall. I don’t care if you save 3 million doing it. This is a thin draft to me, whoever you are going to get with that extra money is not worth it. If you don’t think Adley is worth it then go Witt or Abrams. I don’t care if he’s the next Goldschmidt, an above average SS has more value.

I don’t think it’s thin, but I also don’t think you have to go big overslot to find value at 42 or 71.

Archived