How Does TB Constantly Get Good Pitching, But We Never Can?

ORIOLE33

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, semicolt said:

Don’t forget the Rays were terrible for years always picking from the top of the draft and they loaded up on pitching! The Orioles will now have that opportunity for at least this year and next! 

It’s been more than a decade since Tampa was really terrible.   They did have a downturn in 2014-17 when they won 77, 80, 68 and 80 games, but it’s not like they were drafting at the very bottom.   They drafted 13, 13, 4 and 16.    

On 4/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, LookinUp said:

Our player development for pitching might have looked better if we didn't trade away Hader, Eduardo Rodriguez, Davies, Bridwell (was he a trade?) and Tobias Myers. Wondering if I'm forgetting others. 

FWIW, I was in favor of most of those deals at the time. Necessary evils, in my mind.

[Edit: Ironically, the Myers trade might have been the worst, IMO, at the time, just because Beckham was already pretty much known to be a scrub.]

Its been beaten to death and mostly due to our poor development but I would add Arrieta  

1 hour ago, semicolt said:

I would say mostly poor scouting and drafting than development.

I don’t think either the scouting or the development were awful.    Both a bit below average, and then throw in the fact that we weren’t signing any Latin American top talent and we were making “win now” trades of prospects for veterans for several years.    

TB does a great job scouting and developing because they have to.  They know they will lose elite players to FA and they deal many players at a peak in their production/cost cycle.

That said, as mentioned earlier here, the Os have done just fine drafting/signing and developing our share of guys in recent years like Jake A, David Hernandez, Eduardo Rodriguez, Zach Davies, Zach Britton, Brault, Tarpley, and more recently David Hess, Mychal Givens, and others.  Hader spent more time in the MIL system though Tillman spent a good team of time in ours.

And, here we are now, with a one-two in our current minors of DL Hall and GrayRod plus other legit prospects in Akin and Lowther.  Not exactly a group that will match what Atlanta has coming down the pike, but something that could see the Orioles emerge as a candidate to be in the top 10 in pitching prospects by the end of this year.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:08 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Heck of a trade TB made when trading Archer. They got Glasnow and Meadows. Wow. 

Wait till you see Baz.  As a pirates fan, this one hurts.  

That said, Glasnow will have trouble maintaining mechanics given his frame and meadows is subject to soft tissue injuries.  3 weeks looks good and they have high ceilings with noticable floors.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:32 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

Over the years TB has been about as bad or good as us. But the one difference is that they almost always seem to develop pitching. It’s early, but our pitching compared to theirs is a joke. Even the Yankees, who are normally better than we our, always seem to develop better pitching. 

Man, I hope things will change over the next few years. 

TB has struggled with pitching as well. Wasn't until 10 years after the signed Matt White and Tony Saunders that things changed.. I'll say this, pitchers are now high commodity in trades.. and we saw over the last 5 years.. pitchers going who could be good starters. Injuries dont help and neither does seeing a pitcher like Gausman traded to and watching him grow like in he is in Atlanta. Maybe it is rough to pitch in Camden Yards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 5:08 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Heck of a trade TB made when trading Archer. They got Glasnow and Meadows. Wow. 

Archer wasn’t as good as Glasnow at the time of the trade, but at least we have Lu Ortiz.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:32 AM, Frobby said:

It’s been more than a decade since Tampa was really terrible.   They did have a downturn in 2014-17 when they won 77, 80, 68 and 80 games, but it’s not like they were drafting at the very bottom.   They drafted 13, 13, 4 and 16.    

But then they sold every good one for new youngsters before renewing  almost every time. They trade all their top talent before extension for more pitching. 

On 4/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, nate22 said:

We probably had a chance to obtain Glasnow in part of a Gausman deal. We didn't, TB did. I think identifying talent in other organizations was an issue. Hopefully that will change.

Do you think so?  I heard that Gausman was chained at the hip with O’Day. 

Archived