How Does TB Constantly Get Good Pitching, But We Never Can?

ORIOLE33

26 minutes ago, nate22 said:

We traded Gausman to Atlanta (a team overflowing with young pitching) and couldn't get one of those guys.

The teams that do the development end well, don't want to give up their stash.  Having those young guys under control saves payroll.  Hopefully, under Elias we take a few steps back and get back into all that.  I think we will.

I don't think we were even middle of the pack at either identifying pitching talent or developing it.  Moreso, with starters, I guess than bullpen guys.  We really weren't very good with even position guys either.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

The teams that do the development end well, don't want to give up their stash.  Having those young guys under control saves payroll.  Hopefully, under Elias we take a few steps back and get back into all that.  I think we will.

I don't think we were even middle of the pack at either identifying pitching talent or developing it.  Moreso, with starters, I guess than bullpen guys.  We really weren't very good with even position guys either.

Maybe so, but it seems that the driving force behind the Gausman deal was to save money.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they got out from under the O'Day contract.

They couldn't put up with paying O'Day for one more year? That would have been a small sacrifice in order to get our hands on one of Atlanta's young arms. The Gausman trade was short sighted and a complete waste of a resource. 

19 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Over the years TB has been about as bad or good as us. But the one difference is that they almost always seem to develop pitching. It’s early, but our pitching compared to theirs is a joke. Even the Yankees, who are normally better than we our, always seem to develop better pitching. 

Man, I hope things will change over the next few years. 

Witchcraft.

15 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They couldn't put up with paying O'Day for one more year? That would have been a small sacrifice in order to get our hands on one of Atlanta's young arms. The Gausman trade was short sighted and a complete waste of a resource. 

That's what happens when you leave the guy who is on his way out in charge of the tear down.

21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

That's what happens when you leave the guy who is on his way out in charge of the tear down.

I'll still never understand this. I mean, I understand they HAD to move Machado and Britton, but why the sense of urgency with Schoop and Gausman? Why not let the future GM come in and determine how he wanted to handle them? 

15 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Wow. He really can be shoehorned into any discussion...

At this point, CD might actually provide better value as a bullpen arm.  I remember he pitched at Fenway during a crazy marathon extra-inning game (that I believe the O's ended up winning in dramatic fashion).  Why not give it a shot? 

Archived