Attendance 2019

Frobby

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Oh hell, there I go, breaking another fashion code. :)

Yeah - I'm with you but being a bit "agier" than @Can_of_corn, we can do whatever we please.  Especially with foot fungus and yellow toenails.  Who wants to see them - not me!  Comfort rules anyway!  ?  And mismatched socks rule as video above proves right @MongoBoy?

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball knows that you can do well with 10% of the 330M US population as fans.  But they're conducting an ongoing experiment to see how long that 10% holds up when 60% of the 10% is retirement age or close.  60-year-olds tend to have more money than 20-year-olds, and they still watch most of their games on expensive cable/satellite packages, so they might do okay for a while.  I'm a little less optimistic about 2030 or 2040.

This was going to by my reply as well. Targeting the 50 to 65 market can work for a while as you can charge them high ticket prices, expensive cable package but it doesn’t take a marketing genius to realize this isn’t a long term solution. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball knows that you can do well with 10% of the 330M US population as fans.  But they're conducting an ongoing experiment to see how long that 10% holds up when 60% of the 10% is retirement age or close.  60-year-olds tend to have more money than 20-year-olds, and they still watch most of their games on expensive cable/satellite packages, so they might do okay for a while.  I'm a little less optimistic about 2030 or 2040.

Their revenue could decline by 50% and they would still be fine. They don’t invest in infrastructure and have basically zero long term commitments. It doesn’t really matter if they split 10 billion or 5 billion with the players, it’s still a lot of money. And we have yet to see the price of a club decrease or a cheaper National TV deal, etc. I think the decline will be relatively slow and ultimately not that important. As many have noted, Orioles attendance at Memorial stadium was often woeful. I assume most teams historically  made far less money for their owners and players than they do now.  I’m not going to cry if owners and players in 2040 make less.  

13 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Now 104 losses if they lose today in home games last year and this year.Record for home losses in a 162 game season ,back to back years is 105..Mets in first two years and Tigers in 2002 and 2003..Orioles have been pathetic at home the last two years. 

Not too wild about their on the road record either. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Their revenue could decline by 50% and they would still be fine. They don’t invest in infrastructure and have basically zero long term commitments. It doesn’t really matter if they split 10 billion or 5 billion with the players, it’s still a lot of money. And we have yet to see the price of a club decrease or a cheaper National TV deal, etc. I think the decline will be relatively slow and ultimately not that important. As many have noted, Orioles attendance at Memorial stadium was often woeful. I assume most teams historically  made far less money for their owners and players than they do now.  I’m not going to cry if owners and players in 2040 make less.  

Baseball didn't have as much competition many years ago.  If average salaries fell by half or 2/3rds some of the talent base goes elsewhere, to basketball or football or (especially) soccer.  There will always be baseball, but how good will it be?

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not too wild about their on the road record either. :)

Yesterday I checked and their road record stood at something like the 639th-worst of all time.  It's only about 5th-worst in modern Oriole history.  They already have five or six more road wins than in '88 or '18.  I think they're already better than the 2009 O's on the road.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yesterday I checked and their road record stood at something like the 639th-worst of all time.  It's only about 5th-worst in modern Oriole history.  They already have five or six more road wins than in '88 or '18.  I think they're already better than the 2009 O's on the road.

Double WOW