MASN dispute update

JohnD

• 1 month later...

Judge says MASN should pay Nats based on MLB panel decision

Cohen heard renewed arguments Tuesday and denied a motion by the Nationals to reargue the case that led to his Aug. 22 decision to confirm the arbitration award. He said the sides should jointly submit a proposed judgment by Nov. 21 and also said the Orioles are not precluded from seeking recalculations of MASN profit distributions.

Why on earth would the Nationals want to reargue the case?  Maybe this is a typo?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I recall correctly, the ownership of the Orioles will be receiving money that is subject to revenue sharing instead of money that isn't.  As well as paying money to the Nationals that they were previously pocketing.

Correct.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I recall correctly, the ownership of the Orioles will be receiving money that is subject to revenue sharing instead of money that isn't.  As well as paying money to the Nationals that they were previously pocketing.

No saying it was pocketed by the Orioles.    It was probably parked within MASN all this time.   

32 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

So both teams get an additional 99 million for 2012-16?

99M minus already disbursed TV fees to the clubs plus interest as determined by the court. Could be $100-$120M depending upon the interest rate and the compounding periods chosen.  MASN might have to take out a loan.  I expect more lawsuits to occur, just because  of past performance 

1 minute ago, Beetlejuice said:

99M minus already disbursed TV fees to the clubs plus interest as determined by the court. Could be $100-$120M depending upon the interest rate and the compounding periods chosen.  MASN might have to take out a loan.  I expect more lawsuits to occur, just because  of past performance 

The money has been put aside pending the appeals.

1 hour ago, Beetlejuice said:

True, but MASN’s maintenance of the money and the clerk’s interest determination are two different things.

I'm just guessing here but if the O's were not able to invest the money I don't see why interest would be an issue.

Edit- Oh interest has to be paid from April 15th on.  That won't be much at all in the grand scheme of things.