Roberts to the Dodgertown?

Elon Os Fan

You gave me a link to "top 10 worst deadline deals ever."

Deals like that are the exception not the rule. And at that point, Slocumb had more value than any of our relievers.

Well, do you want to win the trade or not? Think of those as the "Ten best deadline deals for the other guy ever" If you never aim for the best, you'll never get there. In the immortal words of Casey Kasem, keep your feet on the ground and keep REACHING FOR THE STARS."

And Slocumb had been an all star years before, and only compiled an ERA in the 5s for the Mariners. I'm sure our relievers can do better than that. Remember, ERAs tend to decline when you go to the senior circuit. If Slocumb had more value that season than any of our relievers do now, then that's reason to hold onto Sherrill to let him age like a fine wine, then uncork him on the trade market some year that he's not getting a lot of saves or an all-star appearance.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, you did miss something. ;)

Opening post...pushing Jeff Kent into a utility role...

Wouldn't the Dodgers have the most expensive bench this side of the NY Knicks? I'd think they have to unload 1+ of Kent, Jones, & Pierre especially given the rumors that they are having liquidity issues. I'd follow SG's lead and take back an albatross of a contract if it meant getting great talent.

Can someone update me on the whole 'Roberts/Sherrill to the Dodgers' situation. I came onto the forum and saw this thread and thought something might have been done. Any known offers made?

Its pure speculation on the part of this overly eager board... :D

They got traded for a player named Heathcliff Slocumb, who was a reliever.

The same link will show you that Bagwell was traded for a reliever.

The year Bagwell was traded, he had an .879 OPS in AA, but hit only 4 HR. Larry Andersen, the reliever he was traded for, had a 1.95 ERA for Houstoun at the time of the trade. When this deal was made, it did not appear very lopsided.

The year Lowe and Varitek were traded for Slocumb, Lowe had a 6.96 ERA in 53 innings for Seattle. Jason Varitek was a 25 year old putting up a .772 OPS in the hitter friendly PCL. Slocumb was struggling a bit, but had 27 saves, and saved more than 30 games each of the previous 2 years, and had an ERA below 3 each of the previous 3 seasons.

Again a trade that didn't seem very lopsided at the time.

A Walker/Bradford/Cormier for Kemp deal is one that looks completely lopsided from the start. No way it's ever gonna happen, step away from the bong!

I would do a Roberts for Kemp trade straight up. Kemp is the better player but has some attitude issues that may make it an even deal.

How can you say Kemp is better? Roberts os one of the top leadoff hitters in the game, leads the league in doubles and triples, when has that happened? Kemp is a good player now a lot of potential and all.

Why if you were Markakis or any of the other guys who have come up thru the O's system want to sign long term if they trade Roberts? The goal is grow your own, sign them long term and build, Roberts started the trend that broke after Cal made it, keep the man.

I assure you sir, that I am not and have never been high on anything other than life.

Thanks for the fun discussion. You've given me a lot to think about vis-a-vis the value of our middle relievers on the trade market.

It's been good talking to ya.

I think it could be Kemp and LaRoche for BRob.

Kemp's value had taken a bit of a hit about a month ago during a bad slump and with the media looking for a scapegoat for the Dodgers bad play.

However, Kemp flourished hitting leadoff for Pierre, is in the middle of a 15 game hitting streak, is walking a lot more, and has played good defense with baserunning speed and throwing arm that rivals anyone.

Kemp is already putting up similar or better numbers than Hunter, Rowand, and Andruw Jones. A Kemp type player would cost more on the free agent market then Brian Roberts.

Of course, Ned Colletti is an idiot, so anything is possible, but I doubt you could find "one' Dodgers fan who would trade Kemp in a deal for Roberts.

Personally, I don't see how Kemp is even in the discussion.

It would be nice to know how much say Torre has with the organization. It seems that he would have only taken the job with the knowledge that he had some serious input. You have to think he is thinking clearly win now, and not worried about what Laroche or Hu may do someday. Kemp on the other hand isn't making win now, easier.

How can you say Kemp is better? Roberts os one of the top leadoff hitters in the game, leads the league in doubles and triples, when has that happened? Kemp is a good player now a lot of potential and all.

Why if you were Markakis or any of the other guys who have come up thru the O's system want to sign long term if they trade Roberts? The goal is grow your own, sign them long term and build, Roberts started the trend that broke after Cal made it, keep the man.

I think one can argue Kemp is "more valuable" then Roberts, but not better!

Kemp's value had taken a bit of a hit about a month ago during a bad slump and with the media looking for a scapegoat for the Dodgers bad play.

However, Kemp flourished hitting leadoff for Pierre, is in the middle of a 15 game hitting streak, is walking a lot more, and has played good defense with baserunning speed and throwing arm that rivals anyone.

Kemp is already putting up similar or better numbers than Hunter, Rowand, and Andruw Jones. A Kemp type player would cost more on the free agent market then Brian Roberts.

Of course, Ned Colletti is an idiot, so anything is possible, but I doubt you could find "one' Dodgers fan who would trade Kemp in a deal for Roberts.

Pretty much. However, I don't think Logan White would allow Kemp to be traded in a Roberts deal.

And Jeff Kent being moved into a utility role doesn't seem too likely. I think he'd have to be moved if Roberts were acquired before the deadline. He's already grumpy now, and he's playing damn-near everyday and hitting fourth -- can you imagine what he'd be like if he was a utility guy? If Roberts is dealt to the Dodgers, I'd bet it'd be during the offseason.

I agree the O's and Dodgers are good trading partners for Roberts, but I wouldn't move Kemp or Kershaw in any deal. A Roberts for LaRoche/Hu or DeJesus/McDonald or Elbert deal is realistic, in terms of value and return. But thinking Kemp or Kershaw could be involved isn't too realistic, IMO.

The Dodgers have not soured on Kemp the way they have on Andy LaRoche. If that were the case, Kemp would be playing RF in Vegas right now. roncey is right when he says the media was looking for a scapegoat when the Dodgers were struggling.

It should be an interesting couple of days around baseball. Lots of talk. Here's hoping there are a few big moves.

Roncey...Do you see Kemp potentially being a 20-30 HR, 30-40 steals, .280 .380 guy?

I don't think there's any doubt he has 30/30 potential. A .380 OBP with a .280 average from Kemp doesn't seem likely. Perhaps more like .350 - .360.

He'll probably end up with 20 HR, 35 SB this year while hitting .280 - .300... he's only going to get better.

Archived