Roberts to the Dodgertown?

Elon Os Fan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comes from BP's John Perotto about a half hour ago:

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7876

The Dodgers feel they are one big bat away from becoming the favorites to win the NL West, and are in serious talks with the Red Sox about left fielder Manny Ramirez. If the Dodgers can’t get land Ramirez, they will turn their attention to Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts.

BTW, it wouldn't shock me if they put Kemp on the table to get BRob IF they truly want him.

I guarantee you that Torre wants BRob over Kemp right now.

I'm going to stick with my "unlikely" read on the Kemp AND Laroche deal. That's giving up on two very-highly rated prospects simply due to "souring" and "win-now" postures.

I'm not going to say it's impossible. But I still think it's unlikely.

I would be so mad if the Red Sox somehow trade Manny to the Dodgers AND get back Kemp. It can't be real can it?

Oh man, that would burn me up too and I just heard the rumor again so they will probably get a ridiculous amount for manny and Kemp + will kill us for years.

I love Kemp and seeing him with the Red Sox and he would get that attitude which he already doesn't have a great one I am hearing, would just kill me. I want him in an O's uniform since he came up and especially when I could picture him in an O's uni when they were talking bedard and dodgers. But now I love Jones probably more then if we got him. I looove Jones, not in a scary way but you know.

If it was me I would somehow get Kemp and Kershaw with maybe dejesus. But what would we have to give to get those two. I would trade Roberts and Sherrill for Kemp and Kershaw but that whole it has to be fair for the other team really makes me mad :D

I'm going to stick with my "unlikely" read on the Kemp AND Laroche deal. That's giving up on two very-highly rated prospects simply due to "souring" and "win-now" postures.

I'm not going to say it's impossible. But I still think it's unlikely.

This is where I am, as well.

Oh man, that would burn me up too and I just heard the rumor again so they will probably get a ridiculous amount for manny and Kemp + will kill us for years.

If it was me I would somehow get Kemp and Kershaw with maybe dejesus. But what would we have to give to get those two. I would trade Roberts and Sherrill for Kemp and Kershaw but that whole it has to be fair for the other team really makes me mad :D

You could possibly land Kemp and Kershaw for Roberts/Sherrill/Tillman/Arrieta

This comes from BP's John Perotto about a half hour ago:

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7876

The Dodgers feel they are one big bat away from becoming the favorites to win the NL West, and are in serious talks with the Red Sox about left fielder Manny Ramirez. If the Dodgers can’t get land Ramirez, they will turn their attention to Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts.

The Dodgers really want Manny that bad?

What does everyone think of a Sherrill, Brob, Scott and bradford 4 Laroche, Kemp, Dejesus and pierre(to even out the money). I know it seems like a lot but loosing bradford who really cares and kemp takes over for scott and huff could DH for us next year, leaving no room for scott

Speaking of the Dodgers:

I had breakfast with Nomar Garciaparra this morning. He was sitting at the counter at one of my favorite breakfast spots(Uncle Bill's Pancake House in Manhattan Beach) and I sat down next to him. It was kinda empty. I'm not the type of person to bother famous people, but I wanted to talk to him. "What up Nomar man." "Hey," was his response. I place my order and thought of something to say. "Being an Orioles fan, I'd be interested to what you think about Camden Yards," I asked. "Love playing there. When it first started the infield was kinda rough, but it evened out real nice." "Yeah, I'm kinda biased, but I still say it is one of the nicest stadiums in the majors. A lot of newer ballparks modeled themselves after it." He nodded his head in agreement. That's it. I should've asked him what his favorite ballpark is in the NL and how much Cal Ripken inspired him, but I didn't want to bother the dude while he was eating his waffles. He said goodbye and I wished him good luck down the stretch. He seems like a cool person.

Sorry, I know that has nothing to do with Roberts going to the Dodgers but I wanted to tell you guys about it and I wasn't about to start a thread about it. A rather uneventful story but it was cool to me, he's the only major leaguer I've ever met.

What does everyone think of a Sherrill, Brob, Scott and bradford 4 Laroche, Kemp, Dejesus and pierre(to even out the money). I know it seems like a lot but loosing bradford who really cares and kemp takes over for scott and huff could DH for us next year, leaving no room for scott

No.....

Pierre is that awful...If we kept Scott in that scenario I MAY be ok with it but.

I would argue that Roberts is much more valuable to the Orioles than Kemp would be. Kemp is clearly better than Scott, but not so much so that it would justify the huge, smoking crater that would be left at 2B.

I might question Kemp's superior value to the Dodgers if Kent's back problems worsen.

I'm not a believer in LaRoche and certainly not Hu. From the standpoint of the Orioles needs, the Dodgers just don't match up well with us at all IMO, if Roberts is part of the deal.

You are partially missing the point.

By value, I do not mean to one's own team, but rather trade value.

Would you rather have Roberts and $40 million less to spend over the next four years or Kemp and nearly an additional $40 million to spend. Hence, the value aspect.

The non-arbitration year and additional three years of control are worth so much in today's inflated market.

For Example:

Could you get Zach Greinke for Brian Roberts? No!

Could you get him for Kemp? Likely!

Archived