Wright DFA, Ynoa is up

eddie83

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

Tyler Wilson is a better pitcher than Mike Wright.  

I always thought wilson was a better pitcher too. I’ve always had a fondness for guys who throw less hard but more smart. But I really think that Wright has a better chance to succeed In Japan or Korea because he’s so much bigger and throws so much harder.

Remember, Suk Min Yoon Didn’t throw very hard, But he was a standout over there, and when we brought him over here, he couldn’t even crack the big league team.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, Ynoa was throwing the ball pretty well down there. He had one bad start where he allowed six runs, but over six IP and that skewed his ERA. The Orioles may feel that Ynoa is more ready right now and could be here for the long term, not just an up/down guy. This year is about seeing what we have, so why not see what Ynoa brings to the table in the Wright role?

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Here’s a simple one: Yefry is a starter. Mike Wright is not. The pitcher called up was a reliever replacing a reliever.

On top of that, Ynoa is a reliever that the Orioles can outright at any time, burn zero options, and not affect the development paths of anyone in the minors. 

Hows that? I can make up narratives too. I’m not going to armchair GM to second guess that “the Orioles screwed up because they started Ramirez on Saturday”. How full of yourself are you?

You make a good point, but Wildcard does as well, Because our starters are so bad that most of our relievers have to be prepared to go multiple innings. How many six innings starts have we had this year? Three, four? So bringing up a guy who is stretched out to be a starter to be prepared for use in long relief is not unreasonable. If he comes into the game in the third inning and works five-six innings, well, that’s a start. And if that means he’s unavailable for five days, You send him down and bring up the next man. I do not understand how Difficult it is to alter rest schedules, although I do appreciate that it is awkward and best avoided if possible, but the pitching staff at this team has is making that impossible.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, Ynoa was throwing the ball pretty well down there. He had one bad start where he allowed six runs but over six IP and that skewed his ERA. The Orioles may feel that Ynoa is more ready right now and could be here for the long term, not just and up/down guy. This year about seeing what we have, so why not see what Ynoa brings to the table in the Wright role?

Let me stress that considering that our options are so poor it really doesn’t matter who we bring up, I would just as soon bring up the older guys first and let them sink or swim, but I’d like them to have a shorter leash than Wright had.

but Wildcard’s point was well taken.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Tyler Wilson is a better pitcher than Mike Wright.  

Well, they were both pretty terrible for us, of course.    But the year Wilson got released, he had a 4.74 ERA in Norfolk and 7.04 for the Orioles; Wright had 3.69 and 5.76.   So, it’s somewhat understandable that the O’s kept Wright over Wilson that winter.    I’ll add that I always liked Wilson better than Wright, but for a guy without great stuff his command was never consistent enough for him to be successful in the majors.  

Its taken a while but with the help of Enjoy Terror I think I have come to terms with the Ynoa not Ramirez move.

Two points:

1) Elias is big on players fully developing in the minors.

2) Elias is likely to trade veteran players in July.

So here is what I think the motivation is for the Elias moves:

Ramirez currently has 17 starts at AAA over 2 years.  His ERA in those starts are 3.24.  This is after he went 15-3 with a 3.47 ERA at AA.   I think Elias sees him as a starter at the major league level in the near future.    Probably after he gets 24 or 25 starts at AAA and completes his development.

Ynoa has 49 starts at AAA.   He probably has developed as much as he can there.  And although he was not pitching as well as Ramirez at AAA he was best choice in terms of development when they decided to DFA Wright.

I think Elias fully expects to try to trade his veteran starters in July.  Cobb, Cashner and Straily could all go.  Elias will need replacements.    Bundy (26), Means (26), Hess (25) may   remain.  Ramirez (25) and Ynoa (26)  may fill those  rotation spots.

So maybe at least the move for Ynoa and the non move of Ramirez were not so stupid.   What was stupid was it took a while for me to understand.   If in deed I do.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I always thought wilson was a better pitcher too. I’ve always had a fondness for guys who throw less hard but more smart. But I really think that Wright has a better chance to succeed In Japan or Korea because he’s so much bigger and throws so much harder.

Remember, Suk Min Yoon Didn’t throw very hard, But he was a standout over there, and when we brought him over here, he couldn’t even crack the big league team.

Yoooon!

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they were both pretty terrible for us, of course.    But the year Wilson got released, he had a 4.74 ERA in Norfolk and 7.04 for the Orioles; Wright had 3.69 and 5.76.   So, it’s somewhat understandable that the O’s kept Wright over Wilson that winter.    I’ll add that I always liked Wilson better than Wright, but for a guy without great stuff his command was never consistent enough for him to be successful in the majors.  

Plus Wright had the “better” arm. And I agree with you on Wilson. I always liked him better than Wright. Wilson doesn’t have the arm to get away with any mistakes which is unfortunate.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Its taken a while but with the help of Enjoy Terror I think I have come to terms with the Ynoa not Ramirez move.

Two points:

1) Elias is big on players fully developing in the minors.

2) Elias is likely to trade veteran players in July.

So here is what I think the motivation is for the Elias moves:

Ramirez currently has 17 starts at AAA over 2 years.  His ERA in those starts are 3.24.  This is after he went 15-3 with a 3.47 ERA at AA.   I think Elias sees him as a starter at the major league level in the near future.    Probably after he gets 24 or 25 starts at AAA and completes his development.

Ynoa has 49 starts at AAA.   He probably has developed as much as he can there.  And although he was not pitching as well as Ramirez at AAA he was best choice in terms of development when they decided to DFA Wright.

I think Elias fully expects to try to trade his veteran starters in July.  Cobb, Cashner and Straily could all go.  Elias will need replacements.    Bundy (26), Means (26), Hess (25) may   remain.  Ramirez (25) and Ynoa (26)  may fill those  rotation spots.

So maybe at least the move for Ynoa and the non move of Ramirez were not so stupid.   What was stupid was it took a while for me to understand.   If in deed I do.

I think they see a little more in Ramirez and prefer keeping him on a routine at AAA.

As others have said, losing Ynoa  wouldn't be the end of the world if he is not doing well. 

Archived