O's listening to trade offers for Givens

wildcard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Actually I think other teams do in mid-season trades. Tell me why I am wrong here?

First off notice I said I think.  We don't know.

Judging by the return on trades and the deals guys get on the free agent market now compared to say 10 years ago it seems to me that teams are looking more at long term trends and not smaller sample sizes.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off notice I said I think.  We don't know.

Judging by the return on trades and the deals guys get on the free agent market now compared to say 10 years ago it seems to me that teams are looking more at long term trends and not smaller sample sizes.

I think there is for sure validity in your point, but I go back to Schoop - if he doesn’t have that torrid July I don’t see us getting the return we got. If he was batting .200 before that point he was only doing it barely, ditto on his OPS and .600.

There is assumption in there but we’ll have to leave it as assumption vs assumption. For the record I am not arguing that his past perfomance was not a factor, it for sure was.

2 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but my plan was to judge the rebuild about 20 - 30 games into this first season so I am super worried it is a complete bust.  Or not.

And furthermore we should decide on Elias and his crew based on the upcoming quarterly earnings report.

7 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but my plan was to judge the rebuild about 20 - 30 games into this first season so I am super worried it is a complete bust.  Or not.

Well the rebuild started last year.  And the cupboard is empty.  You should judge the current situation and how it affects the rebuild. Or you could just make smart alleck comments like you did that try to,put others down to hide your complete ignorance of the situation.

10 hours ago, backwardsk said:

We're only seven games out of the second wildcard.

And dropping fast.  The O's were 10 games out for the Wild Card last year by May 2nd.  Which pretty much meant they were a non contender.   They are on the same pace this season.

I like the idea of trading Givens “early” in the season. It might negate some of his struggles since last year. I think teams know what they have in him. A 6th/7th/8th inning SU guy. He would likely get back closer to his pre 2018’ numbers if he could be used properly and not overly extended. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the idea of trading Givens “early” in the season. It might negate some of his struggles since last year. I think teams know what they have in him. A 6th/7th/8th inning SU guy. He would likely get back closer to his pre 2018’ numbers if he could be used properly and not overly extended. 

I think Hyde still wants to win games and Givens has been overly extended due to 1) our starter's inability to pitch deep into games and 2) a lack of other reliable arms in the pen.

16 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

You're a patient man.  Some here graded the rebuild a D- in January when they'd failed to sign Danys Baez, Kevin Millar, Jay Payton, and Jeff Conine, dooming us to 55-60 wins instead of 70.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're a patient man.  Some here graded the rebuild a D- in January when they'd failed to sign Danys Baez, Kevin Millar, Jay Payton, and Jeff Conine, dooming us to 55-60 wins instead of 70.

The true glory days of yesteryear.

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

It’s funny.  I actually visualize an animated atomic fireball running around screaming “The sky is falling.  The sky is falling.” when I read your posts.  You know what I’m talking about, right?  One of those red, round, spicy, hard candies that used to be popular in little league in the 80s.  I’m not trying to picture that mind you.  That is literally what has formed in my head as a visual image of you over the years.  It makes me smile and relaxes me though, which is cool.  I wish for you a similar happy place during these awful times...

In this case the sky actually fell.  

14 hours ago, LA2 said:

And furthermore we should decide on Elias and his crew based on the upcoming quarterly earnings report.

I agree.

I think to think an immediate fix is impossible and unrealistic.

I expect us to be better next year, and then more better the following year.

But you cant argue with trolls.

Archived