Hess pitching for his spot?

wildcard

Starters are beginning to go deeper in games.  There is some talk of going to a 4 man bench.   One of the pitchers could be sent down.    

Davis Hess could be a candidate to move out of the rotation if he has trouble vs the Red Sox.  Ramirez is ready to be added to the rotation after going 4.2 innings in relief.   Hess could go to pen or to Norfolk if he has a bad games tonight.  I think Phillips is also vulnerable to being sent down.  Hyde has been using Castro in short outing and he has responded well.  I think he stays.

The extra position player could be Mullins who would play center.   Wilkerson is showing well in the outfield and could move to right.  That could improve the outfield defense.  Mancini to DH.   Nunez is slumping and could be cut back to just facing lefties.

Santander and Hays looms in the future but not now.  More likely in June.

Just guessing here.   I think all eyes will be on Hess tonight. I hope he does well.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of Hess’s outing tonight, I’d like to see him get an extended look in a traditional relief role at some point. 

Good analysis with Castro. I’m done with Rickard. I get that he’s just a placeholder, but at this point we could go Mullins 2.0, Mason Williams, DJ Stewart, Santander, all over Rickard. 

Elias hasn’t done anything too drastic so far with the roster and losing players. 

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I wouldn't replace Hess with Ramirez, at least not yet. Hess was better earlier in the season. Let's see what happens.

Hess was almost perfect on April 1st but has not pitched very well since.  

I’d agree Hess is getting out onto thin ice.    In his four starts since the 6.1 inning no hitter, he’s gone 0-4 with an 8.66 ERA, allowing 17 runs, 24 hits and 8 homers in 17.2 innings.     I don’t know if one more poor start would cause him to get pulled, but he really does need to turn it around soon.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d agree Hess is getting out onto thin ice.    In his four starts since the 6.1 inning no hitter, he’s gone 0-4 with an 8.66 ERA, allowing 17 runs, 24 hits and 8 homers in 17.2 innings.     I don’t know if one more poor start would cause him to get pulled, but he really does need to turn it around soon.   

I tend to favor lots of patience when a team is focused on evaluating its talent rather than on competing for the post-season. I had thought of Hess's remaining time in the rotation as linked to Cobb's return, but after looking at his numbers I can see where he might not make it that long, especially if Cobb stays on the shelf for more than a few more weeks.

The thing is we literally were JUST talking about Bundy in the same way this thread is talking about Hess. So it seems we're only ever 1 good start away from removing a guy from the SP chopping block. 

I say let's pump the brakes. 

Archived