Bruce Zimmermann 2019

weams

@Tony-OH

(2018) "Acquired in the Gausman trade, unheralded Baltimore native LHP Bruce Zimmermann has put up a 1.50 ERA and a 12/3 K/BB ratio in three Bowie starts over 15 IP. He started the year in the Sally League and is just in his 1st full professional season.  

He was drafted in the 5th round in 2017, three rounds after Zac Lowther. He might not have overwhelming stuff, but it's time to start watching him a little more closely."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Sounds like John Means with the fastball a couple tics lower.  

John Means with a little more deception, little less command, half a grade better slider, and half a grade better changeup before Means gained velocity and improved his changeup significantly. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone told me his fastball was up to 95 last night! Can;t verify that though. Is using his four-seamer more up in the zone and his slider and changeup was getting swings and misses last night.

If he’s t95 sitting low 90s, he’s a backend rotation piece, he knows how to pitch and has useful offspeed pitches but was being held back by a poor fastball.

31 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If he’s t95 sitting low 90s, he’s a backend rotation piece, he knows how to pitch and has useful offspeed pitches but was being held back by a poor fastball.

I watched some of his start yesterday. Batters weren't barreling up his fastball very often and he seemed to work it up much more in the strikezone. I could get velocity off the video, but batters weren't very comfortable.

Here’s a report (at the end of this post) on his pitches directly from the man himself.

Quick note: I’ve been at a three home starts and can verify he’s hit 95 several times in each start. Not sure about 96 though. 

He made a point of emphasis (much like John Means) to increase his velo this offseason and did so successfully. He worked with the same trainer that worked with Corey Kluber several years back before his breakout for what it’s worth. I remember him only being 89-92 on that same Bowie stadium gun last August. He’s been comfortably 91-94 in each start I’ve watched this year.

He’s pitching up in and in the zone more now versus righties and primarily throwing from a 4-seam grip after being a 2-seam grip guy last year. So that could also be a factor in the average velo bump. 

Report from Bruce: “Yeah primarily a 4 seam 92-94 top 96 this year. 2 seam 90-92, CH 80-83, SL I think has been 83-86 and CB 79-82. Attacking with the FB CH combo. Slider is sharper than my CB but CB is coming along well this season. Willing to throw in any count. Wanted to mix my pitches more cause I was 70% last year so bring that down a bit”

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Video of one of his strikeouts from his outing on May 10. Definitely the best I’ve ever seen him, minus the final inning where the ump squeezed him on several pitches which led to him walking the bases loaded. Our contingent behind home plate had been heckling the ump so we might be partially to blame for that lol. Finished with 11 K’s and just 2 hits allowed over 5.2 innings.

https://youtu.be/VXyUp4qwFIE

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes he is. He’s been 91-94, occasionally bumping 95 in all three starts I’ve watched at Bowie

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Slade-OH said:

Yes he is. He’s been 91-94, occasionally bumping 95 in all three starts I’ve watched at Bowie

If this is true, that has to bump up his stock quite a bit.  That fastball is the same range that John Means is in and Zimmerman's supposed to have a better slider and changeup according to Luke. 

Thanks for the info Slade.  Turns out we may have at least one prospect from that disaster of a Gausman trade that ends up being a solid major league contributor.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If this is true, that has to bump up his stock quite a bit.  That fastball is the same range that John Means is in and Zimmerman's supposed to have a better slider and changeup according to Luke. 

Thanks for the info Slade.  Turns out we may have at least one prospect from that disaster of a Gausman trade that ends up being a solid major league contributor.  

I would agree. I’m biased of course but he’s been the best starter in Bowie so far in my opinion. And the stats back it up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Better slider for sure, but better changeup before Means improved his changeup this offseason. Means’s current changeup is playing as plus.