At the quarter mark...

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are basically overall what I expected. Dead last and out of it already does nothing for me personally as a fan.  Never has.  Didn’t all the years in the wilderness.  I understand completely and agree completely with the necessary rebuild, etc. but I still don’t get much out of it personally.  

The occasional good performances, the drama of Sig and the march of analytics, the draft, the unexpected finds, yes, all of that is interesting to me on different levels, but not as much as winning as I get older and my time gets shorter.   I just have to emotionally downshift the importance of this last place season from, say, the exhilaration we all felt of 2014 and not try to get too caught up game to game.  I usually just do other things during these seasons rather than watch, live and die with all the games. 

Looks like to the amazement of very few of us, we're directly on target for that 55 to 65 wins window most of us thought they'd land in.  

What I hoped our focus would be this year was simply to get better, identify some pieces we might be able to carry into the next window, and hopefully get some trades in for value on those we will not.  Making some progress on the first two, and of course the third won't be in play for a couple of months yet. 

I think it is increasingly obvious that we are not going to have anything with any trade value that we’re going to want to sell. I personally would like to trade John Means. I’m not convinced what he is doing will last, And I am very confident that he would bring good quality if not quantity.

I do not think he will be traded, but I’m very interested in whether Mike is getting calls on him yet

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think it is increasingly obvious that we are not going to have anything with any trade value that we’re going to want to sell. I personally would like to trade John Means. I’m not convinced what he is doing will last, And I am very confident that he would bring good quality if not quantity.

I do not think he will be traded, but I’m very interested in whether Mike is getting calls on him yet

I doubt he has any significant trade value since he was never a highly rated prospect and has no track record to speak of.  It doesn't make sense to trade him, imo.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I doubt he has any significant trade value since he was never a highly rated prospect and has no track record to speak of.  It doesn't make sense to trade him, imo.  

I think you are probably correct, however if he keeps doing what he’s doing, I think he will accrue meaningful trade value, and I’m sure Mike is willing to pull the trigger if he gets a worthwhile deal

I am not exactly surprised by Cashner. He seems like a pitcher who has been eking out marginal success with declining stuff for a while. It is what I like about him! I don't know what it means, but he has been throwing more off-speed and breaking stuff so far this year and his fastball velocity has ticked up a bit.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I am not exactly surprised by Cashner. He seems like a pitcher who has been eking out marginal success with declining stuff for a while. It is what I like about him! I don't know what it means, but he has been throwing more off-speed and breaking stuff so far this year and his fastball velocity has ticked up a bit.

He has a real Wade Miley vibe to him.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I think you are probably correct, however if he keeps doing what he’s doing, I think he will accrue meaningful trade value, and I’m sure Mike is willing to pull the trigger if he gets a worthwhile deal

I think he’s a guy who would be far more valuable in a year despite a year less of control at that point (assuming he maintains anything close to current results). 

26 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think he’s a guy who would be far more valuable in a year despite a year less of control at that point (assuming he maintains anything close to current results). 

I’m no step guy, so I don’t know whether the indications are that this is a lasting improvement, or it will only last until the book on him gets around town, and everybody knows to wait on the fastball, which is what Mike Trout did yesterday, with unfortunate results.

If his current fame is fleeting(And again, I don’t know whether it is lasting or not) Then I’d rather trade him now.

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

Traditionally, most MLB teams don't start making significant changes until close to Memorial Day.  If anything, I think this regime has had a quicker hook than some in the past.  They made very quick decision on Araujo, pretty quick on Wright, Scott.

A metrics based approach is never going to make decisions based on a small sample size of traditional stats.  But I think some of the advanced stuff that tracks pitch speed and location and break and bat speed and exit velocity and all that stuff doesnt need as many plate appearances to draw a conclusion from.

EVERY season, win or lose, people on the message board start clamoring to get rid of [guy off to a bad start] or [guy off to a great start] and every year management takes longer to pull the plug.  It's fantasy money to us, it's a real investment as well as a human being to them.

I'm honestly pleased with the speed at which they have gotten rid of non performing players, especially in the bullpen.  

ftfy

18 hours ago, interloper said:

The next quarter should be interesting:

• Does Cobb come back strong and injury-free?
  • Does Trumbo make it back? Probably not in the next quarter, but if he ever does it will be a tough roster decision.
  • Do we see call ups of anyone like Sisco, Stewart, or Hays?
  • Do we see a Givens trade?
  • Does Martin get it going a little bit? 
  • Can Nunez get hot again?

Good thoughts. I'd add,

Draft? Rutschman

International signings over 300k?

What will we get offered for Villar, Givens, Mancini, Cashner, and Bundy?

Austin Hays should be rehabbing. 

When do we see the prospects up

Also, I'll add that I think this was supposed to be one of the more boring parts of the rebuild. We kept all the prospects down. We filled the team out with stop gaps for the most part. 

Over the next quarter we will see some exciting things. The draft. Trade talk. Hopefully some noteworthy international signings. Who will be ready from the minors to come up?  Hays should be healthy. Should be a lot more interesting as far as transactions for the organization. 

13 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m no step guy, so I don’t know whether the indications are that this is a lasting improvement, or it will only last until the book on him gets around town, and everybody knows to wait on the fastball, which is what Mike Trout did yesterday, with unfortunate results.

If his current fame is fleeting(And again, I don’t know whether it is lasting or not) Then I’d rather trade him now.

I get this sentiment, but if there's real concern that his "current fame is fleeting," then I doubt that any team would give us sufficient return at this point.  I think he would be worth a lot more with some level of track record continuing into next year.  I actually think he could regress a little with respect to results (his results have been incredible to this point)  and yet become more valuable as it would give some confidence that he won't turn into a pumpkin.

Archived