Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

My "anger" is actually placed on Scott Boras who I believe negotiated directly with Pete Angelos and took advantage of:

a) PA's low baseball IQ

b) PA's diminished mental acuity (total conjecture but I believe PA was already into early senility and Boras took advantage).

c) a & b

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Put Davis back in the leadoff spot. Not as some ill thought out idea to get Davis hitting again like Buck did last season, but to shame Davis into retirement. And start using him regularly as a bullpen arm when the game is out of hand. Which will be often with this team.  

I think shaming is incumbent upon the fans. Hyde or the FO doing it could sour other players on the team. They could rally to Davis's defense. Such a bad situation created by such a stupid decision to sign him to that contract.

I don't think he's going anywhere.  There is zero pressure on the guy to perform or quit. They are, for all intense and purposes, trying to lose so they can rebuild with better draft picks.  He knows the team is going to keep putting him out there no matter how he performs.  I have no idea what is wrong with the guy and the team does not appear to want to let anybody else know what exactly wrong with him.  I don't know if they are hiding behind HIPPA laws or what is going on. 

I'm not actively engaged in reading or watching any Baltimore media so somebody else can tell me if there are any media outlets actively putting pressure on Davis or the team.  I do watch the MASN pieces that show him as a good human being so I don't expect MASN to crack the case.  I have no ill will against the guy. I just don't understand the lack of information on the cause and prognosis for improvement.  I do believe that in another market such as New York this would not be happening.  The pressure from the New York media would be unrelenting. 

I also don't know how this could be affecting the rest of the team.  Last night's game against the A's they fought to get two guys on and he comes up and basically is an automatic out.  That has to be devastating at the MLB level.  The locker room has an elephant in it and ignoring it would be hard to do. 

I'll keep watching though.  I have always been an Oriole fan and I am not going anywhere.  I just hope that this flicker of light at the end of the tunnel blinds me in a few years.

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

My "anger" is actually placed on Scott Boras who I believe negotiated directly with Pete Angelos and took advantage of:

a) PA's low baseball IQ

b) PA's diminished mental acuity (total conjecture but I believe PA was already into early senility and Boras took advantage).

c) a & b

I can't get angry at someone doing his job. 

I have seen no evidence that the man is suffering from senility.

9 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I think shaming is incumbent upon the fans. Hyde or the FO doing it could sour other players on the team. They could rally to Davis's defense. Such a bad situation created by such a stupid decision to sign him to that contract.

How about the scoreboard operator or the PA guy (lady)?

10 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Maybe, but I'm tired of seeing any potential rally killed by his ineptitude at the plate. This team can still get a top three draft pick without Davis. Any talent with a trade market is getting traded by July 31st.  

20 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

a) PA's low baseball IQ

c) a & b

Sorry. I don't agree. Angelos was the top guy and Boras went to the final decision maker. I negotiate contracts for a living and I always want to talk to the person that can yes or no, not the person that'll have to say "I'll have to get back to you." I place this deal firmly on Angelos and the club for making it.

While I would love for him to take a buy-out and save the team some money, I don't see that happening at all. He knows as well as the rest of us that his time on the roster is limited. He's basically waiting out the front office for when they decide to cut ties and that his 40-man spot is worth just dumping him since they're out the cash anyway.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep, total conjecture

but, when was the last time that anyone saw him make a public appearance

He’s clearly got some health issues.   Exactly when they started, or whether they involve any diminished mental capacity, who knows.   Davis signed his contract 3.5 years ago.    At the time, I don’t remember any rumors about Angelos’ condition.    But that doesn’t mean there weren’t issues, either.  

Just now, Frobby said:

He’s clearly got some health issues.   Exactly when they started, or whether they involve any diminished mental capacity, who knows.   Davis signed his contract 3.5 years ago.    At the time, I don’t remember any rumors about Angelos’ condition.    But that doesn’t mean there weren’t issues, either.  

I'm not going to speculate, but many people can still function at the early onset of any medical condition. This may have been the case when the Davis contract was signed, but like you said we don't know.  It's a new era and I'm not going to waste time thinking about what could have been done.

Davis is a problem here and now, and it doesn't matter who influenced Angelos to sign off on a team record breaking contract. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Booing Davis could be seen as trying to help the team.  Anything within reason to help him consider taking a buyout.

I don't see the point of booing. As this thread shows, who would be booed and for what isn't clear. But I wouldn't blame anyone for booing Davis.

A clearer message, and what might be productive though it's very unlikely, would be to have the 5,000 or 6,00 fans in attendance chant "Bunt" or "Left field" when Chris is at the plate.

43 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

a) PA's low baseball IQ

c) a & b

Maybe he is senile, but he theoretically wasn't when he did the same thing with Albert Belle behind Frank Wren's back.

I wish Peter good health, and hope to all that is holy that Davis is the last in a long line of Angelos' decisions that have set this franchise back. 

Davis seems like a genuinely good dude.  I can't imagine the mental anguish he's going through night after night of near complete ineptitude on a public stage (although I'm sure financial stability for generations of his posterity helps, to some degree).  My first choice would be for him to figure out how to hit a baseball again and boost his trade value so the O's could dump that salary.  This would be better for him personally and the team going forward.  The next best option would be for Davis to just hang it up (not likely).  They can't keep running him out there every day when they are trying out young players to see where they will fit in the O's future.  This is a tough one.

By the way - has Davis lost a ton of weight?  He looks like he's down 40 pounds from where he was 2 or 3 years ago.

I listened to the local A's announcers during the game last night.  They kept wanting to say that Davis poses a threat to go deep to any part of the field at any time.  They acted shocked to see him batting in the 8th spot of the order.  I guess they just haven't been paying attention the last 3 years.

Archived