New Rosenthal article on Orioles woes

Going Underground

Just now, Dipper9 said:

Ask the area restaurants if the fans fear for their safety.  Ask Rob Long and Ed Norris, guys who have lived in the city for years and now only go to certain places.  I personally am not afraid to go to Orioles or Ravens games, but I don't go to restaurants or any other areas in the city anymore.  Some people need to realize that just because you PERSONALLY are not afraid, you do not speak for everyone.  

Long and Norris are not unbiased reporters.

i was never a fan of the restaurants in the city, too pricey and too long a wait. and that been that way for years. But, I also live in the suburb.

I think what people fail to grasp is the overall change in the entire society as a nation/world.

We have more mass shootings in a single year, than in 10-20 years before, going back to the 60-80s.

Mass shootings happen even in rural America.

People have driven their cars into crowds and that wasnt in the big city of Baltimore.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

We have yet to show evidence of 1 and 2.  

I am confident in Elias and the new owners, but things like refusing to tell the league who is in charge is just stubbornness and reeks of the same old, same old. 

But I'm on your side Rick...I do think things are slowly improving and within 5 years I think the stink of the past will be forgotten, or at least repressed. 

refusing to tell the league was before last year's ASG and Angelos can be very stubborn.

None of that is new news or current.

He did allow DD to have a good 5 year run here, so its not been all bad.

The Blue Jay incident really mucked this team over big time.

and Cito still sucks.

The Orioles have real challenges. 

1-- The team is really bad and the system needs alot of work. We're not going to compete for a playoff spot for at least 2 more years. 

2-- Baseball attendance in general is down. 

3-- The TV situation is bad. O's need their own station. Nats need their own station. 

4-- The resurgence of Baltimore has been extraordinarily slow and just not happened in many places. It appears to be getting worse, not better. 

So... that's alot. It's hard to see the light. O's need to control what they can control -- focus on development of the team and fix the freakin' TV deal. 

No one can tell us the sky is falling like Rosenthal. I mean, I do think the Orioles have been poorly run for decades, so I get his frustration. But, I'm not ready to run for the hills just yet. 

I think 3/4th of the owners will vote for the Angelos brothers, no problem. There's been a lot made about the MASN dispute, the commissioners office, etc., but in the end MLB is basically a club of rich men, many of whom will want their teams to stay with their families. The MLB commissioner is also one of the weakest in professional sports and seems far less influential than Bud Selig was with the owners (understandable since Bud was an owner). I think MLB will give the Angelos brothers far less grief than many speculate. I suspect that the average owner could care less about the Orioles' dispute with the Nationals over TV money. The Athletics and Giants have had issues for years, the Rays and Marlins are way more likely to have long term financial issues than the Orioles, etc. I predict that when Pete passes, the owners bend rules or whatever they need to do to accept the Angelos brothers. The rich club is very conservative and will not want to rock the boat.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Outstanding reporting by Rosenthal.

Rosenthal is the real deal. I'm curious to see how much his question over the 3/4th vote difficulty is actually backed up by some intel or just his hunch. I always assumed the owners wouldn't want to set that precedent, but it makes some sense based on what he reported.

Why would the Orioles be dragging their feet on appointing a control person for over a year, unless they were worried about the process? I also assume owners probably hate paying unnecessary legal fees the same way they hate paying for taxes or their own stadiums.

Just now, theocean said:

Rosenthal is the real deal. I'm curious to see how much his question over the 3/4th vote difficulty is actually backed up by some intel or just his hunch. I always assumed the owners wouldn't want to set that precedent, but it makes some sense based on what he reported.

Why would the Orioles be dragging their feet on appointing a control person for over a year, unless they were worried about the process? I also assume owners probably hate paying unnecessary legal fees the same way they hate paying for taxes or their own stadiums.

Yes.  Yes, he is the real deal.  

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The team is not moving.

MLB will approve the boys as ownership.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope you are right.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

look at the overall body of MLB governing and all the clowns they have approved as owners.

they are worried about making money.

does mlb make poor decisions, of course, but not sure I see them getting this involved.

Baltimore is making money, they do not have to loan them money to make payroll.

21 minutes ago, theocean said:

I seriously doubt that owners have any interest in setting the precedent of blocking inherited ownership transfer.  Absent something like not being able to make payroll, etc. that seems like it would be pretty extreme.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Long and Norris are not unbiased reporters.

i was never a fan of the restaurants in the city, too pricey and too long a wait. and that been that way for years. But, I also live in the suburb.

I think what people fail to grasp is the overall change in the entire society as a nation/world.

We have more mass shootings in a single year, than in 10-20 years before, going back to the 60-80s.

Mass shootings happen even in rural America.

People have driven their cars into crowds and that wasnt in the big city of Baltimore.

You have to be careful but a person can’t be afraid to live. You have to buy groceries. Some idiot could kill people in a grocery store. I try not to think of what if’s or what could happen. As for eating out I’m near a city of 100 thousand plus that has good restaurants or I go to Whataburger to eat. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Agreed.

parts of the city that was run down, is now in great shape, thanks to the inner harbor and stadiums.

I have a friend in federal hill and loves it there.

Federal Hill is fantastic. Air B&B'd a row house with my girlfriend. Walked to games, restaurants, inner harbor. 

Archived