Brooks Best 3B...who’s next?

HowAboutThat

5 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Does Cal count? 

Ha!  I feel kind of silly now, because I completely forgot him. He totally slipped my mind, but I think I can be forgiven for that, because how likely is it for one Team to have two of history’s greatest third baseman playing back to back?

Defensively, or overall?

Overall, by WAR there are several 3B who rank ahead of Brooks — Schmidt, Mathews, Beltre, Boggs, Brett, C. Jones.

Defensively, it’s Brooks and everyone else.   By Total Zone Runs it’s Brooks and then Bell, Beltre, Ventura, Boyer, Nettles and Rolen.   But Brooks is waaaay ahead of everyone else.    He’s at 293 TZR and Bell is at 174.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Defensively, or overall?

Overall, by WAR there are several 3B who rank ahead of Brooks — Schmidt, Mathews, Beltre, Boggs, Brett, C. Jones.

Defensively, it’s Brooks and everyone else.   By Total Zone Runs it’s Brooks and then Bell, Beltre, Ventura, Boyer, Nettles and Rolen.   But Brooks is waaaay ahead of everyone else.    He’s at 293 TZR and Bell is at 174.

I cannot believe that George Brett surpassed Brooks in total WAR. He hit really really well, but he wasn’t a very good defender, and during the 70s I always despised him for stealing the thunder from buddy Bell, who hit well but not elite, but had a tremendous glove

Watching Brooks play all those years was an experience hard to describe to those who did not have the opportunity.    Just as an example....that swinging bunt play where the third baseman charges in, barehands, throws to first.....these days, if a player actually makes that play once in awhile, it goes on Sports Center.    Brooks made that play EVERY time, not just every now and then, but EVERY time...his ability to pick the ball up  and the speed of release and accuracy were otherworldly...not the speed of the throw but the quickness of release and accuracy from any place on the diamond.  

Archived