Brian Roberts is good

accinfo

I really like listening to Brian Roberts.  He was a little raw when he started but I think he has gotten real good real fast.  I also think Greg Olson has gotten better as well.  Right now as color guys I would rank Palmer, Ben McDonald, and Roberts,  then Olson.  I just can't hear Dave Johnson talk about how highly rated prospects are mostly overrated.  He may be right but I don't have to hear it every time he speaks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Agree on Roberts as well. He needs to replace Bordick ASAP as well as Hunter. I don't want homers in the booth anymore.

Every team has homers in the booth.Listen to MLB now and some are real homer bad The problem with Hunter and Bordick together is a over the top praise of such hard work by everyone.Coaches are working so hard.They watch so much videos Oriole-Endgame Bordick actually said that Hyde was one of the best managers in the game.A little early for that. I want to learn something about the game I am watching ,not a we work harder and it shows commercial  

56 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Every team has homers in the booth.Listen to MLB now and some are real homer bad The problem with Hunter and Bordick together is a over the top praise of such hard work by everyone.Coaches are working so hard.They watch so much videos Oriole-Endgame Bordick actually said that Hyde was one of the best managers in the game.A little early for that. I want to learn something about the game I am watching ,not a we work harder and it shows commercial  

Sure, but Roberts doesn't sound like a homer. Palmer certainly isn't and neither is Thorne. I haven't heard McDonald or Olson, so I can't comment on them. We can certainly choose people who are not homers and are willing to be objective about their own team and not insult the intelligence of the fan base for nine innings every time they are on the air. I want to be better than other teams. They can keep their homers, but I'd rather not have them here and it seems we could pull that off. Hunter and Bordick are easily the worst, I agree. Thorne, Palmer and Roberts are exactly what I want to hear every game for the Orioles. No BS, just straight real talk that the fans can learn something from.

It's so refreshing listening to the Capitals announcers who will rip the team hard if they deserve it and praise them highly if they deserve it all while being informative about the game. I know that's hockey, but we can have that kind of objectivity in our booth, too. Hunter and Bordick make me want to puke sometimes and they don't even have to be together. Just one is sufficient. I know it's hard for some to be objective about their own team, but it can be done. We have three such guys already. We're really lucky to have Thorne. He was also one of my favorite NHL announcers. Just a great play by play guy anywhere he is.

8 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Sure, but Roberts doesn't sound like a homer. Palmer certainly isn't and neither is Thorne. I haven't heard McDonald or Olson, so I can't comment on them. We can certainly choose people who are not homers and are willing to be objective about their own team and not insult the intelligence of the fan base for nine innings every time they are on the air. I want to be better than other teams. They can keep their homers, but I'd rather not have them here and it seems we could pull that off. Hunter and Bordick are easily the worst, I agree. Thorne, Palmer and Roberts are exactly what I want to hear every game for the Orioles. No BS, just straight real talk that the fans can learn something from.

It's so refreshing listening to the Capitals announcers who will rip the team hard if they deserve it and praise them highly if they deserve it all while being informative about the game. I know that's hockey, but we can have that kind of objectivity in our booth, too. Hunter and Bordick make me want to puke sometimes and they don't even have to be together. Just one is sufficient. I know it's hard for some to be objective about their own team, but it can be done. We have three such guys already. We're really lucky to have Thorne. He was also one of my favorite NHL announcers. Just a great play by play guy anywhere he is.

Kevin Brown doesn’t sound like a homer either. And has much as I rag on Bordick, I’ll take him any day over FP Santangelo. 

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I can’t stand the postgame interviews on the road with the manager. Loaded questions that are basically used to prop the team. Never any questions on stuff that to me as a fan I want to hear. 

Just be honest with the fan base. You can be for the team and still be honest. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I can’t stand the postgame interviews on the road with the manager. Loaded questions that are basically used to prop the team. Never any questions on stuff that to me as a fan I want to hear. 

Media/reporters needs to figure out it’s not Buck in charge anymore.  No need to be rude, but you can try asking probing questions about the game without fear now. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

The thing is Bordick is pretty honest when I have heard him on the radio not doing a broadcast. He gets with Hunter and they turn into the Lollypop Club.Also do they get paid on how many times an inning they mention Hyde and the coaches.Hyde loves their resilience. Hyde let them read the Bob Feller plaque about hard work and a long season.The players before the game are working hard with the coaches People don't realize the effort they put in.They watch videos and the coach who works with the catchers is the best.As opposed to the prior bench coach who worked with the catchers who was the best Not sure why other teams have coaches who dont coach.This coaching thing and managing are only done in Baltimore. 

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Kevin Brown doesn’t sound like a homer either. And has much as I rag on Bordick, I’ll take him any day over FP Santangelo. 

That's a pretty low bar to set. Santangelo is a 50 year old man who thinks he's a millennial. 

Archived