Hyde, where you at?

Moose Milligan

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, as I said for me last night it wasn't about the bullpen stuff.  It's the fact that this team can make some really dumb errors.  Like DSJR last night not making the right throw once but twice.  Is Hyde going to address that?

But since we're here and talking about Givens, if it's too much to ask for him to get ONE OUT in the 8th and then close out the 9th...well, then I don't think he's a great reliever.  He's pretty solid but he's certainly not elite.  I understand constantly being asked to get outs over two innings, that might be taxing.  But a 4 out save?  Not much to ask.  

That said, I think Hyde should have left Armstrong in to get the 3rd out.  He was looking good.

Re: Givens, I agree that he's not elite, but they're asking him to do elite stuff. Specifically, they're asking him to shut down one high leverage situation, sit down, and then come out and do it again in the 9th. He's just not that good. I wonder if the leverage statistics span innings? I'd wager that the success in high leverage situations diminishes when it does, but that's just my guess.

With the fielding, I have a feeling that this is your typical rudderless ship on the field. We have a bunch of guys who are either just trying to keep their head above water, fighting for innings, or are one foot out the door like Villar. As such, we may not have a natural field leader. I put that on Hyde too. If a natural leader doesn't step up, you need to assign them. Assign Villar or Martin, or whoever, become the field general. They may not be natural at it, but it would at least put the emphasis fundamental execution. Everyone would know that a person has that job. They'd be less likely to sleep walk through defensive innings like we saw last night.

At least that's another theory...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I kind of think Roberts made too much out of Mancini not helping Severino out. For one he was camped under it. The only time Severino gave any indication that he didn't have it was at the very last second. Also didn't it happen fairly quick for Mancini to get over there?

Hyde felt Mancini was too far away, as he’d been shifted towards 2B.     He felt it was Severino’s all the way.   

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Re: Givens, I agree that he's not elite, but they're asking him to do elite stuff. Specifically, they're asking him to shut down one high leverage situation, sit down, and then come out and do it again in the 9th. He's just not that good. I wonder if the leverage statistics span innings? I'd wager that the success in high leverage situations diminishes when it does, but that's just my guess.

With the fielding, I have a feeling that this is your typical rudderless ship on the field. We have a bunch of guys who are either just trying to keep their head above water, fighting for innings, or are one foot out the door like Villar. As such, we may not have a natural field leader. I put that on Hyde too. If a natural leader doesn't step up, you need to assign them. Assign Villar or Martin, or whoever, become the field general. They may not be natural at it, but it would at least put the emphasis fundamental execution. Everyone would know that a person has that job. They'd be less likely to sleep walk through defensive innings like we saw last night.

But that's the thing, I don't think getting 4 outs is elite stuff.  I'd have to go back and see who he faced last night but at that point I was just bracing for the worst.  I can't remember the details.  You bring up a good point by leverage stats spanning innings.  

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

After tonight's loss, Hyde's gotta step up.

vvtwtyr.gif

Maybe they didn't lollygag, but they sure as hell just crapped the bed in a major way tonight.

Is he going to address DSJR just playing a terrible LF, not hitting the cutoff man twice?  Rickard?  Severino on the popup that dropped foul with Mancini not coming in for backup?  What other botches am I missing? 

I can't imagine him not saying anything to these guys after tonights meltdown.  But some asses need to be chewed.  

On the other hand, I don't expect the soft as Charmin sportswriters that cover this team to do any digging, so we won't know if Hyde steps up or not.

But this is the first time as a manager, IMO, that he needs to lay down some discipline.  Tonight's game was an embarrassment.  

Of course I don’t know but I would imagine he would have. He should have  anyway.

15 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He is pretty mild.  

You can be mild mannered but there are ways to get your point across that they’re professionals and playing like children with their finger up their butt is not allowed. 

15 hours ago, sevastras said:

I don’t know, I watched the entire game. I think there are some coaching lessons but I’m tired of seeing them bring Givens in for more than an inning. If i were Elias, i would tell Hyde that if Givens comes in for an inning, he doesn’t come back out or you will be gone July 31 when Givens isn’t traded. How about Cashner tonight?  Looked pretty nice tonight and hitting 97 in the 6th. 

You want Mike to fire Hyde if he uses Givens more than you thank he should?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just want to point out, the Yankees made a couple of blunders in last night’s game too.   Dropped a foul pop up that allowed Mancini to stay at bat and deliver an RBI single.    Also had an OF play where they threw to the wrong base.    

It’s just that they have the talent to compensate for an occasional blunder, but we don’t.   

The whole league seems to have gotten worse on baseball fundamentals.

Boswell from the Post on the Nationals:

Despite the extenuation of injuries, the Nats have fielded miserably, run the bases in sleep masks and made fundamentals cry “uncle.”

More hit batters,a ton of wild pitches and incredibly low batting averages.The Red Sox had three guys at the bottom of their lineup batting below .200.They said lowest overall averages in 45 years.Relief pitchers over exposed because the starters don't go long.Not the greatest baseball being played now.

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I went to bed after the 8th inning.

I knew there was no way that Givens would hold a one run in the lead in the 9th after seeing how he pitched in the 8th

I knew Hyde would leave him in.

Letting Givens get destroyed when from the first pitch it was clear he didn't have it seems like a bad way to build up his trade value.

And that first pitch, a guy with a 95+ FB comes in and throws a pitiful hanging curve ball as his first pitch.

Same pitch that Torres homered against Cashner on.

If he had taken out Givens who comes in? 

4 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I kind of think Roberts made too much out of Mancini not helping Severino out. For one he was camped under it. The only time Severino gave any indication that he didn't have it was at the very last second. Also didn't it happen fairly quick for Mancini to get over there?

He was camped.   But he wasn't under it.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure what "elite" means, but last season I thought Givens could step into the role of closer and perform somewhere around average for a ML closer, maybe a bit better. And while he's pitched well a few times, it's pretty clear to me that he's not at that level. But the job will be his for a while, I guess, because there's no better alternative. He'll save some, and he'll blow some saves. 

While there's a lot about the Orioles players I don't know, I don't think anybody on the current roster has the experience and statute to be a field leader like JJ or Bordick, and I doubt that having Hyde appoint somebody would help. It might make some players wonder what the hell Hyde is doing. Maybe I'm wrong and there is someone who can take charge, but I have no idea who that would be.

Archived