Can we see Stewart, Cisco, Mountcastle instead of Martin, Severino, and Rickard?

DocJJ

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At least for any prospects Elias and Sig value. They are not going to start service clocks on a 110 loss team. 

I honestly think it has just as much to do with securing the #1 pick as it does suppressing service time The more I hear Elias speak the more it's clear how much those #1 picks are part of his rebuild process. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The problems I'm having with Rutschman remind me of my difficulty spelling Wieters' name -- i before e, or e before i? -- for what seems like years. I'm good with Witt, though.  

The key with words derived from German is that the I/E thing is always reversed from how it sounds to Americans. 

If it has the "ee" sound like "wee-ters" then the I comes first.  Wieters.

If it has an "I" sound the E comes first.  Leinenkugel Beer (first syllable pronounced like "line").

Once you learn that rule spelling words derived from German gets easier.

Just now, SteveA said:

The key with words derived from German is that the I/E thing is always reversed from how it sounds to Americans. 

If it has the "ee" sound like "wee-ters" then the I comes first.  Wieters.

If it has an "I" sound the E comes first.  Leinenkugel Beer (first syllable pronounced like "line").

Once you learn that rule spelling words derived from German gets easier.

I might have figured that out if my German teacher in high school wasn’t senile making it possible to cheat on every test. 

Just got an email about an event at the new Guinness Brewery on June 10 where Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard will be guest bartenders.  So it looks like they expect Joey to be sticking around for a while.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They don't even have a 4 man bench right now.

Out of the 3 players listed, Stewart is the most "overall" ready. That doesn't mean he will be good, but he doesn't have anything left to prove in Norfolk. The issue is, you bring him up for Rickard and now you have no one in center to give Stevie a break.

Mountcastle is hitting and is doing so consistently, but is at a new position that has 2 people blocking him (3 if/when Trumbo is back.)

Sisco has gone 3 for 24 since his torrid hot streak and has thrown out 2 of 26 base stealers, also getting credit for 2 more "caught stealing" when the pitcher picked off the runner who still broke for second. He needs consistency.

Interesting note: Norfolk had Jesus Sucre play first base last night.

My point is by next year there are 26 man rosters. Couple years after that you hope they improve. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Not sure I agree with the last sentence, but regardless of the pick isn't it time, or real close to being time, to make a decision about Sisco's future as a catcher?

If the Orioles see Sisco the way you do, to me that's saying he can't catch and/or throw well enough to be a ML catcher. If that's the case, shouldn't Sisco try to learn another position where he can fill in? (Maybe that has to happen in the off-season.) Even with a 26-man roster, it will be hard with this team's inefficient starting pitching to carry three cathers who can play only there or DH -- as if we needed more DH types. If Sisco comes up as a backup catcher only, we're less likely to find out whether he can has value offensively, with the Orioles or elsewhere.

You take Rutschman because you think he is the best player. 

I agree the time to see what Sisco is should be soon. 

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

As much as I’d like to see those three playing for the O’s right now I don’t think it’s the time. Those guys [Mouncastle especially] can still benefit from getting everyday playing time and at bats in Norfolk. Let’s not rush to promote prospects because players on the big league club are underachieving. I’d much rather see a consistent high level of production from our prospects to the point where it doesn’t look like they are no longer being challenged at the AAA level. Then at that point promote them because they have more than earned it and the front office  no longer believes AAA serves a purpose for them any longer. I’d like for these guys to be fully developed so that win they get here they stick. If that means more loses this year so be it.

“It sounds like [Mountcastle]’s playing pretty well,” said Hyde, who spoke again with Tides manager Gary Kendall a few days ago.

“It’s coming along and he’s working really, really hard to take everyday reps over there. Not something that’s easy for Ryan, either. I think people think you can just throw somebody at first base and all you have to do is go step on the bag and catch the ball, and that’s not the case. There’s a lot more that goes into it, so to get Ryan a lot of reps defensively and in games, pre-game, all that stuff, they’re making progress and it’s going well.”

I keep preaching this. The fact that he is tearing up his ABs is just icing on the cake. Plus as someone mentioned, there is no room for him in Balmer at 1B at least until the trade deadline. Stick to the plan.

52 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I honestly think it has just as much to do with securing the #1 pick as it does suppressing service time The more I hear Elias speak the more it's clear how much those #1 picks are part of his rebuild process. 

I honestly don’t think this is part of his thinking at all.

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Just got an email about an event at the new Guinness Brewery on June 10 where Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard will be guest bartenders.  So it looks like they expect Joey to be sticking around for a while.

Not necessarily.   Last year they had some kind of giveaway day scheduled but then traded the player before the giveaway happened.    I forget the player and the item but I remember it happened.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We'd have to get by with Villar or Alberto at  SS. Then play the other one at 2B. Then bring Wilkerson back to 2B or call up Jace Peterson. Right now, keeping Martin is the right option for a rebuilding club. 

I'm also fine with keeping Mullins and Mountcastle down in AAA until they get 500-600 PA at that level. Stewart and Sisco have that many PA, but this is also more about building self confidence for them, I think. 

This is just going to be the same train wreck we've been watching for the next 100 days or so until Sept 1st. Enjoy the Summer. We have the draft and a couple small moves at the deadline to look forward to. Everything else will be just trying stop gap types. 

Elias essentially hit pause this year. Put everyone back in a level where they should be, and didn't do much for the MLB roster. Mission accomplished, we're on track for a top pick in next year's draft. 

The only joy in Mudville this year. Also in 100+ games there are bound to be 3 or 4 comeback wins, an extra inning win or two. Happy happy joy joy! :disco:

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

“It sounds like [Mountcastle]’s playing pretty well,” said Hyde, who spoke again with Tides manager Gary Kendall a few days ago.

“It’s coming along and he’s working really, really hard to take everyday reps over there. Not something that’s easy for Ryan, either. I think people think you can just throw somebody at first base and all you have to do is go step on the bag and catch the ball, and that’s not the case. There’s a lot more that goes into it, so to get Ryan a lot of reps defensively and in games, pre-game, all that stuff, they’re making progress and it’s going well.”

I keep preaching this. The fact that he is tearing up his ABs is just icing on the cake. Plus as someone mentioned, there is no room for him in Balmer at 1B at least until the trade deadline. Stick to the plan.

It's incredibly hard.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think he's going to come out and say it, but you have to imagine he would prefer the first overall pick in 2020 over winning a few extra games and end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. Nothing is better than knowing that you get your absolute 1st guy on your list. 

I also think it's about service time as well with a guy like Mountcastle. Sure, he needs to get more reps at first base, but that's not why he's in the minors. Steve Wilkerson is the starting CFer and he played one game in CF in the minors. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You don’t think getting another top 3 pick is part of his plan or do you think that service time has nothing to do with that ?

I think getting a high pick is part of his plan but using service time to achieve that isn’t. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I feel like I still see "Weiters" misspelled on here sometimes.

I only got it right because my last name also has an "ie" in it the same way. Now Reimold was always a problem for me...

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he's going to come out ans say it, but you have to imagine he would prefer the first overall pick in 2020 over winning a few extra games and end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. Nothing is better than knowing that you get your absolute 1st guy on your list. 

I also think it's about service time as well with a guy like Mountcastle. Sure, he needs to get more reps at first base, but that's not why he's in the minors. Steve Wilkerson is the starting CFer and he played one game in CF in the minors. 

Mountcastle will be the true first test case for service time and Elias. 

The others are not players you would play the service time game with. 

Archived