MLB Draft Primer: The First Round

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I may have missed this, but why do we want Vaughn? Isn’t he just a big first baseman? Even if he’s a fabulous first baseman, we’ve already got lots of those.

Would you take Prince Fielder if he were available 1:1? I don't know the detailed differences between the two, but Fielder was essentially an all-bat 1B. Vaughn is too. He's currently the best bat in this draft and projects to pretty excellent ML success. That's why some are projecting him very high, or at least making the case that it wouldn't be terrible if the O's picked him. 

Note: I want Rutschman. Just illustrating the case.

[Edit: Fielder was coming out of High School and went #6 overall. Four of the top 5 certainly would have taken him, in hindsight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Major_League_Baseball_draft]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my rough tiers for the top 100 in my rankings. (the rest of the 100 will be out soon).

60 FV - 1

55 FV - 2-6

50 FV - 7-25

45 FV - 25-59

40 FV - 60-100

It's not set in stone but it gives you an idea compared to my past system rankings of where these players would fit in my Orioles Prospect list. I'll roll out my midseason list around July 15th, the signing deadline for drafted players. 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:17 PM, Luke-OH said:

You never, ever, ever draft for need in the first round of the MLB draft.

Also, I don't hear anyone pining for Vaughn to be the Orioles pick. 

The O’s will definitely be doing that, since they need everything. 

Archived