There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He still starts off in low A in all likelihood.  He may move more quickly than others, but it's still probably three seasons before you hear from him in MLB.  

Posey and Zunino were both up the year after they were drafted.  Wieters was up early the year after.

2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He still starts off in low A in all likelihood.  He may move more quickly than others, but it's still probably three seasons before you hear from him in MLB.  

I think either of Rutschman or Vaughn will see the majors in 2021. Both are too talented to take three years. I would expect both of them to tear through minor league competition quickly.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Posey and Zunino were both up the year after they were drafted.  Wieters was up early the year after.

And only one of them is a reason to promote early, and he had an excellent coach in Bruce Bochy.  Zunino and Wieters both did not deliver offensively.  Let him develop in the minors.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That's the difference in teams hoping to compete in the year after the megastar selection, and teams on our timeframe.  I believe Rutschman could hold his own in the show next year but expect his 2020 to mirror Mountcastle/Diaz this year - a 3rd player good enough to care about the 7th year.

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I think either of Rutschman or Vaughn will see the majors in 2021. Both are too talented to take three years. I would expect both of them to tear through minor league competition quickly.

As a catcher, you may see the benefit of bringing him along with Hall and/or Rodriguez, as well as some of the other pitchers.  

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I agree if they are both good as advertised. It might end up being in May 2021, but they will get the call. 

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would think an analytic oriented GM would choose a guy based on what the numbers pointed to, and would be the last person to make a decision based on perception or how he would look.

I also think that a guy in the first year of a contract with maximal job security would be more willing to ignore public perception and go with whatever his idea of the best choice is.

I'm not saying he won't take Rutschman.   I'm saying he'll take the guy who he thinks is best, and I don't think fear of looking like a dope will have ANY influence on his decision.  

In most other drafts, I would agree with you wholeheartedly on this point. But in THIS draft, there is a player who stands head and shoulders above the rest. I just heard that 25 of the 30 teams rank him #1. No Executive, no matter how smart or analytic, wants to look stupid. This is an inflection point in Elias’s tenure. I’ll say it again: I will be absolutely shocked if we don’t take AR. 

Archived