What's with the Yusniel regression?

interloper

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

That's what's up with the Yusniel progression.  Otoh, it's disappointing that he never played in AAA in 2019 considering he played the entire 2018 season in AA with an .841 OPS - granted the majority of it was in the Texas League - not to mention he also played 31 games in AA in 2017.  It seems quite unusual to have a highly rated prospect have 3 seasons at AA without even getting a taste of AAA.     

He most likely would have this season, but a slump and injuries derailed it. I'm sure he would have been in Norfolk instead of Ademar Rifaela.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

That's what's up with the Yusniel progression.  Otoh, it's disappointing that he never played in AAA in 2019 considering he played the entire 2018 season in AA with an .841 OPS - granted the majority of it was in the Texas League - not to mention he also played 31 games in AA in 2017.  It seems quite unusual to have a highly rated prospect have 3 seasons at AA without even getting a taste of AAA.     

The goal is to lose 100 games next games next year. So we have to justify keeping Diaz in AAA all next year. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, MurphDogg said:

Since June 12th (one game after this thread started), his line was .291/.364/.558. That .922 OPS would have been good enough for 2nd in the Eastern League, behind 25 year-old, Hunter Owen.

Quietly a very impressive year from Diaz, IMO. Needs to get healthy. He's not quite as ready, but I'd take him over Mountcastle if the org was forced to pick one of them. Over Hays too. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Here’s the thing (right now), we have 6 starters (one too many) and not enough good relievers (certainly none who can pitch more than an inning). Kremer has issues (this season) the more times that he does through the lineup (especially the third time through). It seems plausible to me that the switch given Kremer’s stuff would be better for everyone where Kremer may even at a tick in velo and be better at getting strikeouts as a reliever. And Irvin who has been an excellent starter (thus far) could continue in that role.
    • On one hand, it's always a bad thing when a pitcher has to get a 4th out, either because of an error or an umpire's mistake. On the other hand, a pitcher still has to execute and can't serve up a meatball. That being said, that was probably the most impactful non-strike call I can remember this year, maybe a few years.   EDIT: From Melewski - "Sometimes the strike call you don't get leads to the fastball you throw that leaves the ballpark."
    • It's fine, but I would personally prefer having Cowser and Adley taking tons of pitches back-to-back before Gunnar further punishes the opposing starting pitcher with high exit velo barrels. 
    • I was going to say pretty much the same thing about Cowser in my post, but left out my thoughts to keep the post more Gunnar-centric. But I totally agree that Cowser fits the best as this team's leadoff hitter, especially since Holliday doesn't look like he's going to make an impact offensively as early as most of us thought heading into the season.  Going back to last season, I've said Cowser has the best mix of patience, hit tool, power, and speed to be a great leadoff hitter. The strikeouts are most likely always going to be high with him, but he has .380-.400+ OBP makeup, and having someone like that hitting leadoff with Adley and Gunnar hitting directly behind Cowser is going to set things up for an elite offense which is much more dynamic and less one-dimensional than the what we've seen up until this point. Cowser Adley Gunnar Westburg O'Hearn Santander Mountcastle Is an ideal top 7 against RHP for right now, with Kjerstad (replacing Hays) and Mayo (essentially replacing Mateo and bumping Westburg to 2B) making the lineup legitimately scary within the next couple months. Mullins and Hays need to be phased out, with Santander and Mountcastle not far behind if those two continue struggling and not reaching base enough to justify hitting in the middle of the order.
    • A lot of teams (likely driven by analytics) are putting their best overall hitter at 2 (like the Yankees batting Soto 2, and the Dodgers batting Shohei 2) to maximize ABs while guaranteeing that a high-OBP guy is batting in front of him to give him opportunities with men on base.  That's probably what we want.  It seems logical considering how thoroughly debunked small-ball in the first inning has been.  Rutschman at 3 is fine.
  • Popular Contributors