What's with the Yusniel regression?

interloper

In 220 AB, he was OPSing .905 in AA Tulsa before the trade. Since then?

.732 in 2018 at Bowie

.621 in 2019 so far at Bowie

Just a development hiccup for him or what? Clearly a ton of talent that was showcased this past ST. I find this one of the more bizarre developments in our minors this year. 

Diaz and McKenna have been by far the biggest disappointments as far as position players in our system go. 

Both have inexplicably regressed.  Diaz had a .900 OPS in the Texas League before coming over last season.  Perhaps it's a more favorable hitting environment there. 

Also concerning, is the lack of power. Only 1 HR in 93 at bats this season.  Some wanted him on the big league roster to start this season, but he's clearly still far away from making any kind of impact in Baltimore. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

.732 in 2018 at Bowie

Just a development hiccup for him or what? Clearly a ton of talent that was showcased this past ST. I find this one of the more bizarre developments in our minors this year. 

I believe I may have posted this at the time of the trade, but not everyone was sold on Diaz at the time of the trade. For example, in Baseball America’s article discussing the Machado trade, one scout said as follows:

"The Dodgers sold high on a risky guy they don’t believe heavily in,’ said a third scout. "Having said that, I didn’t expect a big package. Rentals don’t command big packages in the game these days.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-scouts-front-office-personnel-viewed-the-machado-trade/%3famphtml

I’m hopeful that Diaz turns it around and, with his injuries, I have no idea what his true talent level is, but I’m concerned that he might not be the player that we were hoping to receive in a Machado trade.

I’m not ready to make too big a deal over this.    Diaz had a .673 May last year, so it’s not like he was hitting non-stop in Tulsa.    His injury disrupted this season, so hopefully he’ll heat up as he did at times last year.   

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think he got vastly overrated - in part because of a big Futures Game performance - and was never really a legit big-time prospect, so I'm not really surprised he hasn't excelled this season.  

I think anytime a team spend that large an amount of money on a player he becomes a legit big-time prospect until proven otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think anytime a team spend that large an amount of money on a player he becomes a legit big-time prospect until proven otherwise.

No, he's gotta prove it, and he never has. He's gotta actually do something to be legit.  He's been playing pro baseball since 2016, and the only time he really excelled was about 200 or 300 at bats in the Texas League when he OPS'd barely about .900.  He's a good prospect but hardly anything to get excited about, imo.       

19 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Remember: Diaz has dealt with an injury almost all season. Last year, Hays dealt with one all year and people gave him the benefit of the doubt. 

Hays required postseason surgery, and actually had a couple of different injuries.   Was Diaz already hurt before the day he went on the IL?    Is he still hampered by the injury?    I have no idea.   

39 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

No, he's gotta prove it, and he never has. He's gotta actually do something to be legit.  He's been playing pro baseball since 2016, and the only time he really excelled was about 200 or 300 at bats in the Texas League when he OPS'd barely about .900.  He's a good prospect but hardly anything to get excited about, imo.       

So Rutschman isn't a big time prospect yet?  OK, I don't agree with your definition but OK.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

.732 in 2018 at Bowie

Injury. Just like the Hays regression. Or the Harvey regression. Or the Bundy regression.Or the Tate regression. Injury. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays required postseason surgery, and actually had a couple of different injuries.   Was Diaz already hurt before the day he went on the IL?    Is he still hampered by the injury?    I have no idea.   

Diaz was good in Spring Training. 

• Upvote 1