Is the 2019 Season a Blatant Tank Job?

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, atomic said:

There is no one to replace them with. Management decided to spend the winter relaxing instead of doing their job.  Who are the players we can replace them with at this point?  Our Triple A pitching is horrible, 

You know, you are allowed any opinion you like, but when you say idiocy like this, it really takes away from the times that you actually make some good points. 

If I start to sensing you are just trolling, and this comment would seem to be for no other reason than you are looking for attention, then I'll consider giving you a break from the site for awhile.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I don't think any of the players on our current roster will play a part in this team's long term future. And my big issue is with them continuing to roll out the players who aren't performing, like Straily, as opposed to giving someone else a shot. By rostering a player like Dan Straily it sends the message to me that they're not trying to win. That's something I have a problem with. 

Would you preferred they win 70 games, come in 4th, and end up with the 7th overall pick next year or do you think the 1:1 pick will give the organization a better chance at competing consistently in the future?

Nobody likes to lose, and yes, you are 100% right about Straily, but if you just accept what's going on this year, the losses go down a lot easier. Besides, I was able to go to bed at a decent time last night thanks to Straily, so I give him that.

How exactly would this team avoid "tanking" with the current personnel in our system?  Sure, we could promote Mountcastle now and DFA Davis.  That might be worth a couple wins the rest of the season, maybe.  Who else are these incredible can't-miss prospects that we're holding back and would be sure to help us win 70 games instead of 50?  Because I don't really see a lot of that right now.  I wouldn't have minded if we'd signed Keuchel, honestly, but we'd have had to offer him a lot more than the Braves gave him, and he might help us win 2-3 games a year over the next guy in our system, I guess.  That's not going to make the kind of impact we need to contend.  

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I don't think any of the players on our current roster will play a part in this team's long term future. And my big issue is with them continuing to roll out the players who aren't performing, like Straily, as opposed to giving someone else a shot. By rostering a player like Dan Straily it sends the message to me that they're not trying to win. That's something I have a problem with. 

I disagree. He'll be DFA'd today and rightly so. But when we acquired him, it was a good under-the-radar low risk/high reward move. The guy was a very decent pitcher for a bunch of years. There's no reason to think he would be this bad. He had a 5.11 FIP last year and a 4.12 ERA. That's instantly our best pitcher not named John Means. 

It just didn't work! It happens. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Would you preferred they win 70 games, come in 4th, and end up with the 7th overall pick next year or do you think the 1:1 pick will give the organization a better chance at competing consistently in the future?

Nobody likes to lose, and yes, you are 100% right about Straily, but if you just accept what's going on this year, the losses go down a lot easier. Besides, I was able to go to bed at a decent time last night thanks to Straily, so I give him that.

Again, it's not the losses so much as it is the not trying to win vibe that I've been picking up lately. Straily should have been DFAed weeks ago. 

30 minutes ago, jjnono said:

You're crossing into Atomic territory here, who I believe described the Orioles current rebuilding approach a "moral failure."  (aside from sportsmanship, I wasn't aware that concepts of morality were built-in components of the game...)

FWIW, I don't understand why Straily is on the team any more than you do... it's a mystery for sure, perhaps buried in the thought that if you are going to waste an arm, it might as well be one that has no career left upon release...

That's the problem. I've asked myself that very same question and the only answer I can come up with is that they are actively trying not to win.

I think it is 100% a tank job and I am 100% here for every second of it. 

But it's not like they aren't trying to improve the parts of the organization that matter: scouting, drafting, international, development, technology, data, good hires, communication. That's all huge. Who cares about the record? Get that stuff right, for goodness sake. 

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Again, it's not the losses so much as it is the not trying to win vibe that I've been picking up lately. Straily should have been DFAed weeks ago. 

Replace Straily with prime Aroldis Chapman and we still lose all those games. 

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't understand your big complaint here.  You're not concerned about losing, just how they've gone about it...?  

Archived