Gunnar Henderson signs

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I tried to stay up on the threads about the draft picks...is he legit? I hope so, and I'm glad he chose Baltimore over college.

On another note, I have probably got t-shirts older than him!

That’s the point of this thread, he’s going to sign. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s the point of this thread, he’s going to sign. 

I was more asking about his talent level. I jumped over to his draft thread and got caught up. Hopefully I'll see him in Salisbury later this season, or next. He sounds like a good talent.

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

I’m having a hard time seeing how this is anything but an obvious choice assuming he is going to get north of 3mil or even 2mil.  If he wants to play professional baseball then he gets his start early with a better/potentially faster path to the majors. If he wants an education to hedge against failure in professional baseball then he has millions already in the bank to own his own home and pay for college with no loans necessary and still have millions left over.  

Why would anyone go to college under those circumstances?

In the history of the draft only 6 players picked at 42 have put up 1 WAR.  I think having fun in college while getting an education is the smart move. Auburn us a good college.  Odds are he blows his money and doesn't make the big leagues.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno if you're considering that as a dig at Manny of some sorts but I think Manny has 300 million reasons not to care what goes on in Baltimore.

This is a good point.  I think any team that has the 42nd pick should just not select anyone.  What's the point if that player is only going to put up 1 WAR?  Ditch the pick, use the money elsewhere, I say.  

Where did you get that from my post? I think for rye teams interest Gunnar should sign. For the kid I think he should go to college.

27 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was more asking about his talent level. I jumped over to his draft thread and got caught up. Hopefully I'll see him in Salisbury later this season, or next. He sounds like a good talent.

Sorry, I misread your post as I hope he signs.

Talent level, he’s what you want from a HS prospect, the chance to stick at SS or be a good defensive 3B if he grows out of it. And the chance for an impact bat if things go right. He already has more raw power than any SS prospect in the system and is an above average runnner. He doesn’t have the gaudy toolset of Bobby Witt or C.J. Abrams, but there is still significant ceiling to go along with your standard HS player risk.

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

I’m having a hard time seeing how this is anything but an obvious choice assuming he is going to get north of 3mil or even 2mil.  If he wants to play professional baseball then he gets his start early with a better/potentially faster path to the majors. If he wants an education to hedge against failure in professional baseball then he has millions already in the bank to own his own home and pay for college with no loans necessary and still have millions left over.  

Why would anyone go to college under those circumstances?

College sports are like a religion to some people, and apparently he’d get to play with his brother. I can see someone valuing such things seemingly irrationally highly. Me I’d take the money. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well you brought up that only 6 players picked at 42 have produced 1 WAR.  That's what you said, right?

Have put up at least 1 WAR.  So 6 out of 50 or so players have been worthwhile signs.  It is a long shot that he contributes at the major league level but that is why they give you 40 draft picks and international slots.  Sign 60+ players and hope 2 or 3 turn out.  For the high school player college is the better option.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, makoman said:

College sports are like a religion to some people, and apparently he’d get to play with his brother. I can see someone valuing such things seemingly irrationally highly. Me I’d take the money. 

If you play well in college the money will still be there.  

Just now, atomic said:

Have put up at least 1 WAR.  So 6 out of 50 or so players have been worthwhile signs.  It is a long shot that he contributes at the major league level but that is why they give you 40 draft picks and international slots.  Sign 60+ players and hope 2 or 3 turn out.  For the high school player college is the better option.  

Ok.

So therefore, the odds are stacked against Gunnar.  I'm saying if any team has the 42nd pick, they should just not use it.  Why would you?  It's a 12% chance it'll work out.  Chris Davis has a better batting average.  Be smart, use that money elsewhere.   We shouldn't sign this kid, 12% chance he works out.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok.

So therefore, the odds are stacked against Gunnar.  I'm saying if any team has the 42nd pick, they should just not use it.  Why would you?  It's a 12% chance it'll work out.  Chris Davis has a better batting average.  Be smart, use that money elsewhere.   We shouldn't sign this kid, 12% chance he works out.

I am sure someone on here can give you the cost benefit analysis.  12 percent chance you pay $2 million and you get $60 million in value. You still come out a head if you make enough of these picks.