Adam Stauffer

DirtyBird

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So what happens with Stauffer next year, do you think?    Does he begin at Delmarva, but in a starter’s role?   Or does he move to Frederick, possibly as a reliever?

I think with the way that talent is starting to back up in the system, I think he probably is in the Delmarva rotation. They need to move Fenter, Vespi, Rodriguez, Rom, and maybe even Litscher (will be 24 next year) to Frederick. 

59 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think with the way that talent is starting to back up in the system, I think he probably is in the Delmarva rotation. They need to move Fenter, Vespi, Rodriguez, Rom, and maybe even Litscher (will be 24 next year) to Frederick. 

Good problem to have. Finally.

Stauffer got the “opener” assignment for Delmarva yesterday and pitched two scoreless innings, no hits, one walk, two strikeouts.    Still carrying a 0.00 ERA since his promotion, with an 0.64 WHIP and 17 strikeouts in 11 innings over 5 appearances.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scarey1999 said:

Wonder why they are being so cautious with his innings? It’s not like he’s a 17 yo we just drafted out of HS. He’s big and physically mature. Time to challenge him more IMO as the season winds down. 

He pitched all of 12 innings last year? Perhaps they are having him do significant side work between outings, like a velocity program, pitch design, or mechanical work. I don't know, but it doesn't concern me. 

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He pitched all of 12 innings last year? Perhaps they are having him do significant side work between outings, like a velocity program, pitch design, or mechanical work. I don't know, but it doesn't concern me. 

Just wondering - What do Gulf Coast League players typicall do in April through June?  Don't they at least play simulated games?

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Just wondering - What do Gulf Coast League players typicall do in April through June?  Don't they at least play simulated games?

If they are healthy they do. But I'm working off the assumption that if he did play in extended spring training games last year, he also did this year and the innings pitched are a wash. If anything, he probably threw more innings in extended this year than last year. He didn't start pitching in the GCL last year right after extended spring training ended, so he was probably shut down for a portion of extended too. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, Luke-OH said:

Very true. Could be any of those reasons. I guess that was part of my point was that he didn’t pitch much at all last year either despite having good results in those limited innings similar to this year. Just seems odd to me from my not in the know fan view. 

7 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Luke-OH Where would you roughly expect Stauffer to be ranked in the end-of-season OH Top 30 prospect rankings? I'd guess 15-20. 

Not that high. 25-35 range. He’s got some backend SP upside, but he’s not close to the majors and there’s plenty of risk to the profile.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Not that high. 25-35 range. He’s got some backend SP upside, but he’s not close to the majors and there’s plenty of risk to the profile.

Quite a few pitchers will be on any Orioles top prospects list.   I guess you’ve given up on doing a midseason list?

Not sure how much you’ve looked at these guys, but I’d be interested to know in roughly what order you’d put these pitchers who weren’t with a full season club when the season began:

Ryan Wilson (33rd round 2017)

Adam Stauffer (19th round 2017)

Dallas Litscher (10th round 2018)

Ryan Conroy (8th round 2018)

Kevin Magee (9th round 2018)

Leonardo Rodriguez (International 2017)

Dan Hammer (13 round 2019)

Houston Roth (29th round 2019)

I know there were several pitchers drafted ahead of Hammer and certainly Roth in 2019, but they seem to be the ones getting stretched out at Aberdeen so that’s why I listed them.   It may be that some of the others profile better, and if so I’d love to hear your opinion on them, too.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Quite a few pitchers will be on any Orioles top prospects list.   I guess you’ve given up on doing a midseason list?

Not sure how much you’ve looked at these guys, but I’d be interested to know in roughly what order you’d put these pitchers who weren’t with a full season club when the season began:

Ryan Wilson (33rd round 2017)

Adam Stauffer (19th round 2017)

Dallas Litscher (10th round 2018)

Ryan Conroy (8th round 2018)

Kevin Magee (9th round 2018)

Leonardo Rodriguez (International 2017)

Dan Hammer (13 round 2019)

Houston Roth (29th round 2019)

I know there were several pitchers drafted ahead of Hammer and certainly Roth in 2019, but they seem to be the ones getting stretched out at Aberdeen so that’s why I listed them.   It may be that some of the others profile better, and if so I’d love to hear your opinion on them, too.   

Don’t know enough about Houston Roth to rank him. Hammer, I need to see some pro video, because he was such an erratic pitcher in the 2 or 3 college starts I watched, the stuff then was similar to Stauffer, maybe a touch better but without the unique look that 6’7” from a high slot provides.

That said, here’s how I slot them

Stauffer - unique look for hitters with a chance for three average pitches. That’s a backend starter, some concern whether the stuff will hold, he’s remade his body and hasn’t thrown many innings.

Hammer - like Stauffer but a chance for an above average slider but without the unique look, this is kind of a speculative ranking with the assumption he’s improved his well below average command 

Ryan Conroy - fringe average sinker but a chance for above average slider and change with average command, weak contact, innings eater type at higher levels, swingman/5th SP ceiling, middle relief more likely 

Dallas Litscher- older guy, nasty knuckle curve and  a fastball 90-93 with some ride. Chance for a little more velo I think despite being older. Huge 6’8” frame, not as high of a release as Stauffer but enough to give hitters trouble. Late bloomer type, growing into his body. Relief likely.

Leonardo Rodriguez- 92-96 fastball, low 3/4 slinging,  poor extension despite long arms (he’s 6’7”. Both slider and change are fringe average but he can throw them for strikes. Which works in the low minors but won’t against advanced hitters. Needs to go to relief where the fastball from a way on the third base release would likely play.

Ryan Wilson - lefty with an above average curveball, average change, below average fastball. Kind of like a Alex Wells profile but without the type of command to make it work. Fastball is pretty flat an tops out at 89-90 sits 86-88.

Magee- excellent changeup, but fastball is just 85-88 and the breaking ball is fringy, older guy

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2