TT: Scouting the 40 man: Who will be part of a winning future?

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I feel that most of the current Bowie starters will get starts in Baltimore at some point in 2020.  I expect a 2020 Norfolk rotation of Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman, Kremer, and Baumann.   One or two of them could potentially start the season in Baltimore.  So there could be some quick call-ups based on performance and need at the big league level.  

There’s no reason to give the guys in Bowie starts in Baltimore next year. What does it accomplish?  If we’re not giving Akin starts right now, what makes you think we will with similar pitchers next year?

We’re rebuilding.  It’s tough.  I don’t see us rushing guys.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no reason to give the guys in Bowie starts in Baltimore next year. What does it accomplish?  If we’re not giving Akin starts right now, what makes you think we will with similar pitchers next year?

You could give guys starts without rushing them.  If someone is in Norfolk and just killing it they should be left there to stagnate?

I also expect some of these guys to be in Norfolk before the end of this season.  No reason for them to languish in Norfolk if they are pitching well there. 

Also, I don't expect us to have a whole lot of options on the big league squad.  Cashner will not be on the team and Bundy may also be traded.  These Double A pitchers will all be 23-25 next season.  It will be time to start getting them big league experience. 

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I said at some point next season and I fully expect Akin to get some starts this season and probably before rosters expand.  Bruce Zimmerman will be 25 next year and the rest of these guys (Lowther, Kremer, Wells, and Baumann) 23-24.  They do not need a full season in Norfolk if they are pitching well.  

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The writing is on the wall. I'm just glad he got time in the majors and atleast comes back up in September, if not sooner.

Severino and Sisco having such high percentages though was a shock. I figure one would be moved before then. 

Notice they are around 50% after next year. That's because I expect Rutchsman to be here and one will probably be moved by then. 

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'd put a FV on Sisco of 50 due to his offensive profile getting a big boost this year.  It looks like he's going to be an above average hitting catcher and he has the minor league track record to back it up.  

Severino may be a FV 45, but he's played at a current value 55 or 60 through half a season.  So his outlook may have to be reexamined after this season as well.  

I still have concerns over Sisco hitting lefties so he may always be a platoon guy, hence then 45 vs 50. Severino is similar but honestly, with the defensive edge I was close to giving Severino a 50. 

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we will see the first wave of starters (Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman) and relievers next year (Harvey and Baumann). 

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I still have concerns over Sisco hitting lefties so he may always be a platoon guy, hence then 45 vs 50. Severino is similar but honestly, with the defensive edge I was close to giving Severino a 50. 

Do you see Sisco staying catcher or do you see a position change?  If so, is there any other position he can play?

16 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Do you see Sisco staying catcher or do you see a position change?  If so, is there any other position he can play?

I know you weren't asking me, but I think his other options would be 1B/DH. With that said, I don't see a position change.

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I'd like to see if he can play 3B, honestly. I don't think Sisco will kill you at catcher, but if his bat is real, then I think the Orioles need to find a way to keep him in the lineup against righties at least. With Severaino and eventually Rutschman in a year or two, he'll need a place to play and this organization is low on 3B prospects.

His remarkable turnaround from the last two years is really one of the better stories of this year. Looks like a totally different guy from the guy who was lost last year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we will see the first wave of starters (Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman) and relievers next year (Harvey and Baumann). 

I do too, but I think the last thing they want to do is rush these guys.  The way I see it is that these guys have pretty much climbed the ladder one level at a time.  We always talk about not rushing these guys.  Well they get to AAA and people want to see them not put in a full season there.  We're going to be terrible again next year.  Why develop these guys patiently then blow it at the very last level?  

We may see Akin and Harvey at some point this year, if not, I think they are serious candidates to make the OD roster.  But the other guys that are in Bowie now, let them get 100 IP in AAA and develop.  Especially with AAA, and the international league, seeing an offensive boom.  

I think we need to separate the merry go round of pitches this year in Norfolk, to actually having prospects in the rotation in Norfolk next year.  Let these guys continue to develop their secondaries instead of coming up to the MLB and having try and survive.  It makes for a much more finished product.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I do too, but I think the last thing they want to do is rush these guys.  The way I see it is that these guys have pretty much climbed the ladder one level at a time.  We always talk about not rushing these guys.  Well they get to AAA and people want to see them not put in a full season there.  We're going to be terrible again next year.  Why develop these guys patiently then blow it at the very last level?  

We may see Akin and Harvey at some point this year, if not, I think they are serious candidates to make the OD roster.  But the other guys that are in Bowie now, let them get 100 IP in AAA and develop.  Especially with AAA, and the international league, seeing an offensive boom.  

I think we need to separate the merry go round of pitches this year in Norfolk, to actually having prospects in the rotation in Norfolk next year.  Let these guys continue to develop their secondaries instead of coming up to the MLB and having try and survive.  It makes for a much more finished product.  

I agree. I think that's Elias' intended development path for these guys, but I do think we will see some of those Bowie starters next year at some point. It may be late next year, but I think we will see the best of them get their feet wet with a focus on having the best of them in the OD 2021 rotation.