vs. INDIANS, 6/29

OFFNY

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I just set up my computer to automatically make backups at like 5am. I never shut my PC down. I think it's better to keep things warm as opposed to constant cool/warm cycles which wears components out faster. That's kind of debatable, but it's my position based on experience.

I don't know. I shut mine down every night, just to let Bill do his bookkeeping*. BUT... there is that ancient Edison lightbulb in the fire station in California that's been burning for over a hundred years now. They have a live webcam.

*Only word in the English language with 3 straight double letters. And bookkeeper.

Just now, MongoBoy said:

Whatever happens, there is nothing we can do about it.  Try to block a solar flare?  Good luck.

tTV6G2x.gif

To some degree, yep. Power grids could be protected somehow. With the technology we have, we could have certainly figured out some kind of shielding to at least protect the transformers. With the tech we have, I'm sure we could come up with some solutions. Maybe not block it, but more like mitigating damage. Really, a solar flare fries any electronic equipment whether it's plugged in to a power source or not. Replacing an entire power grid would take decades.

I agree with the sentiment though. We are very lucky to have had all this time to develop without interruption. Life is a lot more fragile than people think. I would rather try and fail than not try at all.

9 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I just set up my computer to automatically make backups at like 5am. I never shut my PC down. I think it's better to keep things warm as opposed to constant cool/warm cycles which wears components out faster. That's kind of debatable, but it's my position based on experience.

Only backup I have is making an auto restore point once a week. Just in case I or a website does something stupid.

Just now, Sessh said:

To some degree, yep. Power grids could be protected somehow. With the technology we have, we could have certainly figured out some kind of shielding to at least protect the transformers. With the tech we have, I'm sure we could come up with some solutions. Maybe not block it, but more like mitigating damage. Really, a solar flare fries any electronic equipment whether it's plugged in to a power source or not. Replacing an entire power grid would take decades.

I agree with the sentiment though. We are very lucky to have had all this time to develop without interruption. Life is a lot more fragile than people think. I would rather try and fail than not try at all.

Looking at it from a galactic scale we haven't taken much time at all to develop.