Tanner Scott

weams

On 6/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, FlipTheBird said:

Indeed. I suppose it's not impossible that the O's get that idea, but Scott wasn't even a full-time start in JC. He's always been projected as a relief pitcher.

He made no starts in 2016. As you've pointed out, the reason the organization is having him start this year is to give him exposure and time to work on all of his pitches, rather than using him inconsistently out of the pen.

The only reason I think there is a chance they stretch him out is he has recently started throwing a curveball in games. I only have seen 4-5 of them but they were really good.  If he has a third pitch, I mean the delivery isn't super high effort, why not try to let him work deeper in games.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:30 PM, Ruzious said:

The O's have been amazingly consistent in how they use Scott.  All 12 of his appearances this season have been 3 inning starts.  He has a fastball and a slider, and if his curveball is as good as some here have said, maybe it does make sense to see if he can go 4 innings and then 5.  But if they think he's a 2 pitch pitcher, his future is in the pen.  

They give the guy consistency and he shows more consistency on the mound.  It's a heck of a developmental strategy.  You put him back to starting and then he's not as dominant as he would be in 3 IP starts.  It might not catch up to him the first 2-3 starts but it probably would once he's going 5-6 IP every 5 days.  

I see nothing wrong with calling him up to the MLB.  Treat him like Givens.  Just use him in lower leverage situations.  It's time to take the chains off and see what he can do.  

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They give the guy consistency and he shows more consistency on the mound.  It's a heck of a developmental strategy.  You put him back to starting and then he's not as dominant as he would be in 3 IP starts.  It might not catch up to him the first 2-3 starts but it probably would once he's going 5-6 IP every 5 days.  

I see nothing wrong with calling him up to the MLB.  Treat him like Givens.  Just use him in lower leverage situations.  It's time to take the chains off and see what he can do.  

Well, he's not going to have 3 inning starts in the majors, so however he's used in the bigs is going to be a change.  And even losing 2-3 MPH's from his fastball, he'd still be among the hardest throwing starters in the bigs - possibly the hardest.  The reason he's been thought of as just a reliever prospect is because he was a 2 pitch pitcher with questionable command.  If he's got 3 or 4 pitches that he can get strikes on, that opens up the possibility of being a starter.  Of course, it's up to the O's to evaluate whether he does have 3 or 4 pitches.    

He's been on the "start every 5th day for 3 innings and throw bullpen sessions to work on control and other pitches" to give him some consistency right now. If he was moved to the bullpen, he might not throw in a game for a week.

I'd prefer he continues like this for the season and gets his work, then reevaluate it in the off season if he makes solid progress like he has.

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He's been on the "start every 5th day for 3 innings and throw bullpen sessions to work on control and other pitches" to give him some consistency right now. If he was moved to the bullpen, he might not throw in a game for a week.

I'd prefer he continues like this for the season and gets his work, then reevaluate it in the off season if he makes solid progress like he has.

Bit premature to make him the closer don't you think?

• Upvote 1

Bullpen doesn't really matter when we can't get QS.  Ideally at some point this season we could have a bullpen of,

Britton

Brach

Oday

Givens

Asher

Scott

Wright

That would be a pretty awesome bullpen, but our rotation would be hideous.  Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ubaldo.  That's the type of pen that you would want to bring Tanner Scott up into.  An established pen with set roles, where he can pitch in low leverage situations at first. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Are you talking about the Orioles' bullpen?     I seriously doubt anyone in our pen needs to worry about being underused.    I'm not in favor of bringing Scott up right now, but it's not because I'd be worried about him being underused.   

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are you talking about the Orioles' bullpen?     I seriously doubt anyone in our pen needs to worry about being underused.    I'm not in favor of bringing Scott up right now, but it's not because I'd be worried about him being underused.   

Was talking about Bowie. Though I'd rather he be used as a closer at Bowie than "let me see how many saves I can blow" Liranzo...

o

3 Walks in only 3 Innings Pitched

Nonetheless, he was still very pitch-efficient overall in 3 shutout innings.

9 OUTS: )  4 Groundeouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Popout

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Reading, 6/15)

IP:;)..l) 3))

H:))ll.)  3 ll (3 Singles)

R:l))l.lll 0

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 2

Pitches: l) 39 )(22 )Strikes, )17 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.38 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.154 )(AA-Bowie) )  39 IP (45 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .150 )(AA-Bowie) )  19 for 127

PITCHES BY INNING 

12 ll(6 llStrikes, . 6 .lBalls)

10 l.(8 llStrikes, . 2 llBalls)

17 ..(8 llStrikes, .l9 .lBalls)

o

While I have a long record of being skeptical of pitchers with high BB rates, you do need to view it in the context of his ridiculously low hit rates (4.4 H/9 this season, 6.1 career).    I still don't think he could get away with 6.0 BB/9 in the majors, but at around 5.0 it might be manageable.

On the one hand, a 6.0 BB/9 in AA is likely to be worse in the majors. On the other hand, Scott's BB/9 over his last 24 innings is 4.1.     I think we just stick with the program for now and let Scott continue to make progress.

By the way, it's worthwhile to note that while the O's are limiting him to 3 innings per outing, he hasn't been knocked out of a game before reaching his limit.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

While I have a long record of being skeptical of pitchers with high BB rates, you do need to view it in the context of his ridiculously low hit rates (4.4 H/9 this season, 6.1 career).    I still don't think he could get away with 6.0 BB/9 in the majors, but at around 5.0 it might be manageable.

On the one hand, a 6.0 BB/9 in AA is likely to be worse in the majors. On the other hand, Scott's BB/9 over his last 24 innings is 4.1.     I think we just stick with the program for now and let Scott continue to make progress.

By the way, it's worthwhile to note that while the O's are limiting him to 3 innings per outing, he hasn't been knocked out of a game before reaching his limit.   

They interviewed him on the Scott Garceau show few weeks back.  Seemed like a very mature young man.  Recognized that he needs to do a better job of harnessing his fastball - he was well aware of it.  I think he said he only started pitching his senior year of HS.  I generally share your skepticism, but always nice to hear players recognize where they need to improve.  And I agree with what you say - keep to the program with him.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much is he throwing his slider?  Any chance he could be working on a 3rd pitch, like a change up?  

I wonder if the next development step to push him past 3 IP or to promote him to AAA.  

He is mixing in a slider a bit more each time and is still working on it. He is also working on another pitch, but I forgot what it was. That has been the main reason for the schedule he is on. Give him guaranteed game time and then have him on a scheduled bullpen session(s) so he can continue to work on stuff.

I firmly believe they will stick with this schedule this season and evaluate him over the winter/spring. That seems to be the reason he was one of the first cuts this spring.

• Upvote 1