Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/28)

OFFNY

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ignore is a strong word.   Don't take them seriously until there is a large sample size.

It takes longer for it to settle down and have meaning than hitting and pitching stats do.   And they take some time.

There will be someone who has been an average or just slightly good player hitting .360 in early May next year.   You'll feel good for the guy, and remark on what a great start he is off to.    But you won't really believe he is a .360 hitter.

It's tough, because intuitively, if "feels" like defense shouldn't have fluctuations (hot streaks and slumps).   Barring a legitimate reason like being hobbled by an injury, you would think it would be consistent.   But apparently, if you believe the numbers in these defensive stats, it doesn't.   Guys go through hot streaks and cold streaks.   And these stats TRY to measure things we can't really measure with the eye test -- the guy being so good he makes the play look easy so we aren't as impressed as we are when another guy makes a diving catch at the exact same spot; or a guy going full out and diving and just not getting to a ball that another guy might have glided over and caught on the fly.   We applaud the diver for the effort but often don't realize just how bad he is.

And then of course you have the fact that defensive results are a combination of ability and positioning.   How much of what you are measuring is due to the guy being positioned better or worse, versus his true ability.   I don't know if they have made any headway in determining that.

All valid points. So I'll just go back to my eyes:

GIVE THAT MAN A GOLD GLOVE!

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trevor Bauer just threw a tantrum.  Wonder if he's going to get fined for it?  Maybe $42,069?

Palmer says he threw it over the center field fence from the mound.   Have to check out those highlights.

Archived