Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Inflation. Includes inflated expectations.

Good point.    Over the three years Glenn Davis received $10.5 mm, the O’s total payroll for those years combined was about $70 mm.   So, Glenn was paid about 15% of the total payroll.    

Chris Davis has earned $92 mm out of total payroll of $538 mm, about 17%.    It was a lower percentage the first 3 years, much higher this year (28%) as we slashed the payroll.    With the O’s still in rebuild mode, that percentage will be going up again this year.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had much higher expectations for Glenn Davis than I did for Chris Davis.

Everybody had high expectations.

Glenn Davis did NOTHING for this team. Which is why its the worst trade in team history.

Finley won a World Series with Arizona, was a two-time All Star and won five Gold Glove Awards.  Schilling became a certifiable star, winning three World Series titles (including the 2004 title while with Boston) and was a six-time All-Star.  Harnisch’s career was a bit of a Ping-Ponger but he was also an All-Star (in 1991) and had a respectable career.

They forgot to mention Schilling as a possible HOF candidate.

Chris Davis has done more for the Orioles even from 2017 to 2019 than Glenn Davis ever did.  Come on.  And that's not even taking into account when he was actually good.

The donation by he and his wife is laudable and will help people (specifically sick kids and their families).  Kudos to them.

Also, Eric Davis had a pretty good 1998 season for the Orioles.  And he wasn't off to a bad start in 1997 before he fell ill with cancer.

Looks like this article from the Sun hasn't been linked yet, even if some excerpts were taken from it:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-hope-20191105-w3tmagusc5esbh76mitfdyrmgy-story.html

Some interesting tidbits in there.  

-The Orioles asked him about attending a private hitting school, Davis doesn't want to do that.

-The Davises just made this enormous donation to UMMC.

-He has hope now for the team.  And although he didn't perform well last year, he enjoyed coming to the ballpark and hanging out with the guys.

See, silver linings are everywhere.

• Like 1

But Davis doesn’t plan to make dramatic mechanical changes in 2020. He said the Orioles asked whether he would be interested in attending a private hitting school this offseason, but he wonders how much he could change at his age.

“They’ve basically left it in my hands and said, ‘If this is something that you want to do, we’ll do everything that we can to help,’ but I’m 33; I’ll be 34 in March,” Davis said. “How many years is this, 10, 11? My career is obviously … I’m on the back side of my career. I don’t think there’s going to be a massive swing overhaul where I’m changing mechanically and spreading out. That’s just not gonna happen.

19 hours ago, atomic said:

But Davis doesn’t plan to make dramatic mechanical changes in 2020. He said the Orioles asked whether he would be interested in attending a private hitting school this offseason, but he wonders how much he could change at his age.

“They’ve basically left it in my hands and said, ‘If this is something that you want to do, we’ll do everything that we can to help,’ but I’m 33; I’ll be 34 in March,” Davis said. “How many years is this, 10, 11? My career is obviously … I’m on the back side of my career. I don’t think there’s going to be a massive swing overhaul where I’m changing mechanically and spreading out. That’s just not gonna happen.

Cal Ripken tinkered with his swing well into his 30s...but for some reason Chris Davis can't try something new? I've made this point in the past, but the biggest problem with Chris Davis is Chris Davis. For some reason he still thinks he's an all-star who's just in a prolonged slump. Which is a bit ironic because he's been bad much longer than he's been good. I honestly just want him off this team. I don't want any of his awfulness or stubborn work ethic rubbing off on the younger players. Right now it sounds like they are just making it way too easy for him to just collect those big checks. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2019 at 2:30 PM, Aglets said:

Looks like this article from the Sun hasn't been linked yet, even if some excerpts were taken from it:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-hope-20191105-w3tmagusc5esbh76mitfdyrmgy-story.html

Some interesting tidbits in there.  

-The Orioles asked him about attending a private hitting school, Davis doesn't want to do that.

-The Davises just made this enormous donation to UMMC.

-He has hope now for the team.  And although he didn't perform well last year, he enjoyed coming to the ballpark and hanging out with the guys.

See, silver linings are everywhere.

So, the fact that Davis is unwilling to attend a hitting school they suggested is a silver lining?

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Cal Ripken tinkered with his swing well into his 30s...but for some reason Chris Davis can't try something new? I've made this point in the past, but the biggest problem with Chris Davis is Chris Davis. For some reason he still thinks he's an all-star who's just in a prolonged slump. Which is a bit ironic because he's been bad much longer than he's been good. I honestly just want him off this team. I don't want any of his awfulness or stubborn work ethic rubbing off on the younger players. Right now it sounds like they are just making it way too easy for him to just collect those big checks. 

I agree that he's his own worst enemy, but don't think it's because he thinks he's in a slump. I think he has a guaranteed contract and is unwilling to work to earn it.

Can't wait for him to be gone, regardless of his laudable charitable donations. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

So, the fact that Davis is unwilling to attend a hitting school they suggested is a silver lining?

Yeah - so stubborn.  Howie Kendrick went to a hitting guru and he suggested one  minor change and it changed his approach and look what he did.  Go figure?  ⚾

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Cal Ripken would tinker with his swing in the middle of an AB if necessary. I really wish they would drop Davis and move on to whatever is next.