I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Since you are on Twitter, check out Dan Connelly, since I can't post tweets for some reason.

Villar was put on the "waiver wire," meaning he is still with the team and on the 40 man roster UNTIL a trade is made or he is released.

If no trade happens prior to the non tender deadline, he will either be offered a contract or not, making him a free agent.

"DFA" is a MUCH different meaning when it comes to a roster move. 

Not all roster moves are equal.

Good call

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

People seem to keep forgetting this point on Davis. Cutting Davis on day one would have been Elias very first move if allowed by ownership. 

Maybe he values the $560K more that they are saving by having Davis take up a roster spot.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok. When does he come off?  Were you told this? Not being sarcastic. I'd like to know. 

If you knew this was the plan he should of been dealt at the deadline. The rumor was Elias didnt get an offer that he liked enough to move Villar! Now he gets nothing .....Genius!

Now that Weams and I cleared that up...

I hate this move.

Make this move during the season and get something back. Don't have a "Black Friday" sale on a player you are pretty much telling the league "you don't have to give us anything because he will be a free agent soon, but if you want to toss us a random guy, please do."

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok. When does he come off?  Were you told this? Not being sarcastic. I'd like to know. 

So the reason they are doing this now rather than simply non-tender him is because this gives them more options. If he's not claimed, he's still an Oriole. If he's claimed by one team, that's the risk. They get him. If he's claimed by 2 or more teams, they work out a trade. 

It seems that teams are calling the Orioles bluff, saying we know you are going to non-tender him anyway, I'm not going to trade for him, just going to wait. So the Orioles request waivers to try and force a team's hand. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Somebody will pick him up and pay him! Wait and see .....We have incompetent front office and ownership! Period!

The irony behind all your angst is that resigning Villar, a flawed player coming off a career year, would have been a classic Peter Angelos, Sr. move. 

Oh and to your point about why Elias hasn't made any trades yet...it's because management let a dead man walking GM make them all before they hired him. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The irony behind all your angst is that resigning Villar, a flawed player coming off a career year, would have been a classic Peter Angelos, Sr. move. 

Oh and to your point about why Elias hasn't made any trades yet...it's because management let a dead man walking GM make them all before they hired him. 

How is this any sort of classic Peter Angelos move. He would be on a 1 year deal and he is in his prime.