I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They spent 8.8 million on the Hobgood draft.  Sign ability was a strategy that year not a result of cheapness.

True they gave up the player that you draft that you are most likely to hit on to draft some guys overslot later.

I'm sure you will dig up some meaningless article why not to sign the best player available to you in the 1st round! I am sure I will disagree with the logic.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is what is a healthy profit.

Let's look at the Royals since they just got sold.

They sold for a billion.  If ownership makes 50M a year out of the team it still takes 20 years to pay off the purchase price and that doesn't include debt management.

The team itself is an asset whose value is expected to increase, as well.  That must be factored into the ROI.    If I can buy something for X amount now, and 10 yeas later sell it for 2X, thats a 10% ROI yearly just from appreciation alone.  $50m yearly profit on a $1b purchase would be 5% on top of that, so thats roughly 150% ROI over 10 years total.   I think thats a pretty healthy return if you consider sports franchises a low-risk investment.

And $200m was the baseline.  They alos get 52% of local revenues, so the floor is probably more like $250m.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GuidoSarducci said:

The team itself is an asset whose value is expected to increase, as well.  That must be factored into the ROI.    If I can buy something for X amount now, and 10 yeas later sell it for 2X, thats a 10% ROI yearly just from appreciation alone.  $50m yearly profit on a $1b purchase would be 5% on top of that, so thats roughly 150% ROI over 10 years total.   I think thats a pretty healthy return if you consider sports franchises a low-risk investment.

And $200m was the baseline.  They alos get 52% of local revenues, so the floor is probably more like $250m.

Sure, I'm just trying to show things from the prospective of an owner.  Folks don't often buy teams to operate as public trusts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

I'll bet that the Yankee ownership siphons off more profits than the Oriole ownership.

I dont care .... They win ...When they dont they do everything they can to try to get there.

I'll take their approach over whats being done here!

They dont care about the fans or the product

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is what is a healthy profit.

Let's look at the Royals since they just got sold.

They sold for a billion.  If ownership makes 50M a year out of the team it still takes 20 years to pay off the purchase price and that doesn't include debt management.

Except they still have an asset that is continuing to appreciate $1 billion. The value of the team doesn't depreciate, so paying off the purchase price isn't an issue as long as you pay off the interest on the debt.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

True they gave up the player that you draft that you are most likely to hit on to draft some guys overslot later.

I'm sure you will dig up some meaningless article why not to sign the best player available to you in the 1st round! I am sure I will disagree with the logic.

I mean, I could quote Astroball.

Look, I HATED the Hobgood pick, go back and check.  I despised it.  But they weren't being cheap and if your argument is centered around them not spending that draft isn't supporting evidence.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont care .... They win ...When they dont they do everything they can to try to get there.

I'll take their approach over whats being done here!

They dont care about the fans or the product

But they don't do everything.  They have actually been mindful of the soft cap in recent years.

If winning is the difference maker are you fine with how the Rays conduct business?  They win a lot of games.

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Villar was one of few reasons to watch the Orioles this year. If you werent watching him than you just werent watching!

No I didn't record them (thanks for the snarky remark)

What I did do was listen to him say in interviews that the coaches helped him adjust his swing to be more compact and have a better approach. Statistically he was obviously on to something!

@Ohfan67   Nice double retaliatory REP! Sir ..... Have some class!

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Villar was one of few reasons to watch the Orioles this year. If you werent watching him than you just werent watching!

No I didn't record them (thanks for the snarky remark)

What I did do was listen to him say in interviews that the coaches helped him adjust his swing to be more compact and have a better approach. Statistically he was obviously on to something!

If you think this is the worst move made by the Orioles during your fandom, then you have not been watching the Orioles and deserve all the snark given. Your response is completely over the top and borderline ridiculous. Villar is a flawed player and was often very frustrating to watch. His inexplicable defensive and base running miscues were frequent and frustrating. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean, I could quote Astroball.

Look, I HATED the Hobgood pick, go back and check.  I despised it.  But they weren't being cheap and if your argument is centered around them not spending that draft isn't supporting evidence.

This is factual. Not fun. But factual. Two million was spent on fliers and Hobgood was overpaid by several as well.  It was poorly done.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I'd go for that along with the other abominations. 

I’d like to see a rule giving mi or leaguers a minimum salary. Even If the minor league teams are independently owned, that’s what we really need most. Not extra millions for Manny or Angelos, but reasonable thousands for the Corbin Josephs of the world.

Just now, weams said:

This is factual. Not fun. But factual. Two million was spent on fliers and Hobgood was overpaid by several as well.  It was poorly done.

Actually I've gone back and read the Hobgood draft thread and had a number of chuckles out of it.  I was just stupefied that anyone thought the pick was a good idea.