Relievers (6)

12 Tanner Scott (24)

13. Kline (27)

14. Hess (25)

18. Ortiz (23)

19. Carroll   (26)

20. Alvarado  (24)

Infielders/DH (3)

24.Davis  I guess you are paying out his contract because I don't see Angelos  is doing it.

30. Rondon (25)

32.  Ruiz   (25)

Outfielders (2)

39. Smith  (26)

40.  Mullins (24)

Not giving the young players much time to develop. Ages as of July 1st 2019.

Elias is going to need room to add to next years team. At least 2 SP’s even if they are Straily and Karns types. Plus infield help. Who is going to start at 3B and SS? 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Elias is going to need room to add to next years team. At least 2 SP’s even if they are Straily and Karns types. Plus infield help. Who is going to start at 3B and SS? 

I agree about a couple of starters.   Martin/Rondon/Villar at SS.   Nunez/Ruiz/Alberto at 3B.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just projecting.....

Starters (7)

1. Means

2.Wojo

3. Cobb

4. Kremer

5. Akin

6 . Sedlock

7. Bundy

Relievers (13)

8. Fry

9. Armstrong

10. Castro

11. Givens

12 Tanner Scott

13. Kline

14. Hess

15. Harvey

16. Tate

17. Bleier

18. Ortiz

19. Carroll - Depending on health.  If he was healthy he is just the kind of pitcher the O's would be trying to add.

20. Alvarado 

Catchers (3)

21. Severino

22. Sisco

23 Wynns

Infielders/DH (9)

24.Davis

25. Mancini

26. Villar

27. Nunez

28. Alberto

29. Martin

30. Rondon

31.Mountcastle

32.  Ruiz - Questionable because he is out of options.

Outfielders (8)

33. Santander

34.  Hays

35. Diaz

36. Wilkerson

37. Stewart

38. McKenna

39. Smith - Will get another chance to prove himself in Sept.  Has an option left.

40.  Mullins

Ok! I was going  to list all the guys on your list who almost certainly won't be here next year, but it's just too early to speculate. We don't even know who's going to be here next week. A highly perceptive comment yesterday pointed out that other teams are clearing out their 40s to make room for acquisitions, and we may well take advantage.

but there's several guys on this speculative list who probably won't even see December as Os. No sense discussing it till November.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

No, that's because Wynns was sent back down again. Or maybe because he's hitting .219 at Norfolk.

He eventually may be our backup catcher, but I don't worry too much about other teams lining up to get him

He's caught 45% of base stealers.

He wasn't drafted or brought up through the system for his bat.

7 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I would definitely keep Sedlock and Scott, but I agree with the other 10.

Why keep Scott? He throws really hard and really wild and that has never changed. He has an ability and not a skill and he’s had ample time to develop his ability into a skill and hasn’t done so. No reason to keep him.

Scott is exactly the kind of guy we'd try to get if he was with another organization. I think he was brought up a little too early, but he has a lot of potential. He got an eight-out save tonight for Norfolk and his ERA is down around 3.00 there. I think he can help us next year, especially if we lose Fry or Bleir. I think Elias is too smart to let him get away.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I notice you seem to care about less than 3 months of MLB experience (small sample sizes) when determining who should be on the roster.  Why arent you advocating for the release of Ortiz, Tate, Martin, and Ruiz as well.

Oops.  I see that's already been advocated.

You replace a guy when you find a clearly better player.  But I would contend that unless you are spending too much money in free agency and you have a good understanding of what a player is (i.e. a decent enough sample size - which we don't on most of these players) then you are just making moves to make moves.

Player development is not an assembly line, it's an iterative process.

I agree with your basic point, but I disagree with your examples. All of the guys you mention have had plenty of opportunity, not necessarily with Bmore but overall.  Martin deserves to stay, although his spot may be at risk of there’s a crunch, but the others can go yesterday and no loss.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Scott is exactly the kind of guy we'd try to get if he was with another organization. I think he was brought up a little too early, but he has a lot of potential. He got an eight-out save tonight for Norfolk and his ERA is down around 3.00 there. I think he can help us next year, especially if we lose Fry or Bleir. I think Elias is too smart to let him get away.

We might get him to take a chance on him, on the grounds that we could fix his problems. But Scott has always been with us and we’ve been trying to fix his problems.

I’m not sure how easy it would be to find out how many guys in the 30 minor-league systems can throw 100 miles an hour with no command or control, or how many of those guys have meaningful major league careers. A raw Ability is only that. He’s had plenty of time to turn it into a meaningful skill and hasn’t. Every now and then he’ll go out and strike out the side on 14 pitches, but for everyone of those times, three other times he walks three guys on 12 pitches.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

50/50. If he ever shows the bat he did in the minors before AAA, he could be valuable. If he shows that AAA this season was just a fluke/extended hot streak, then yeah....

Sisco got his K rate down so I was happy giving him a longer leash. At the moment he seems like a player on a bad team. When the team improves, he’ll go to another bad team. Right now him or Wynns is not a coin flip, he clearly wins. But if his funk continues that will change.

9 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Scott has 47 strikeouts and 13 walks at Norfolk and is 25 years old - sounds like a promising prospect to me.

So? When he comes up here, where it counts, he’s bad. I want to see consistent improvement. If a guy does well down there but can’t be consistent up here, he’s no use.

13 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Scott has 47 strikeouts and 13 walks at Norfolk and is 25 years old - sounds like a promising prospect to me.

I just checked. At the major league level he gives up 8.47 walks per 9 innings.

In 2018 his K rate was about the same but his BB rate was about half what it is this season. Hes only got 17 innings this year to last year’s 52, but no one can survive with such a BB rate.

Archived