Hunter Harvey called up

wildcard

On 8/18/2019 at 9:52 AM, waroriole said:

Just watched his debut. Damn that’s an electric arm. He’s the next Britton, if he’s healthy. 

I liked what I saw, but I did not see Britton. That'll only happen if he can get a better secondary or two. Britton's sinker was plus plus, and Harvey doesn't have any plus plus pitch. Almost nobody does.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe he had better options?

It is a lot easier to have assigned roles when the starters go deeper and you have four guys in the pen better than anyone in this pen.

Meh. He definitely had better options, but that's not to say that Buck's use of those options didn't improve performance. We can't know for sure, but his bullpens weren't built with expensive arms (when acquired). 

22 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

He went on to say that he'll help tweak it to get it where it needs to be, but these balls are much slicker than what he is used to. 

This makes a ton of sense. Everyone's talking about the flight of the baseballs in AAA and the majors, but if the feel is also different, that's a game changer. Now I'm really happy that they're forcing guys through AAA (Zimmerman, Kremer) rather than moving them directly to the majors.