Hunter Harvey called up

wildcard

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Embrace the dark side. :awesome:

Back to Harvey, I just think of what Tony said years ago about don’t get too high on milb relievers as prospects. Usually it’s the failed SP that become the best relievers. Now think about Scott and Kline. They’ve been tattooed up here. 

So you are giving up on Scott and Kline?

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you are giving up on Scott and Kline?

Not really, but I’d lump them in with Tate/Phillips/etc...  I think they’d be better in defined bullpen roles. Like how Buck used Castro on the “B” squad of the pen. 

In the ST bullpen format we have, I don’t think many will flourish and they haven’t. Only Means has emerged. But we’re not going to be in a position to have basically “defined” bullpen roles for a long time. 

We could have a decent pen If our rotation was top 20. 

CL - Givens

SU - Armstrong

SU/LOOGY - Fry

MR - Harvey

MR - Wojo

B squad 

LR - Rotate fresh arm from minors

2 of Castro, Bleier, Scott, Tate, Kline

But it’s an exercise in futility because Wojo will be forced to start, and is a top option for what we have in the rotation. Plus we’re a long ways of way from doing this from our internal inventory. If ever with what we have now in the organization. We will have to supplement from the draft and FA/trades. 

My overarching (conspiracy) theory is the reason why we’ve seen such few promotions in the minors is that Elias is building up the rankings, and perceived trade value of prospects. That’ll help us acquire SP when we’re ready. That was the Astros model. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They have an assigned role.  That role is to get out there and get batters out.

Me?  I'm the seventh inning guy if we are ahead by 1-3 run but not if they have a lefty with power leading off the inning and no more than two days in a row.

You can grit your teeth, and be all get off my lawn, and go out there and get outs. It’s your job. Unfortunately, that’s not just not working. These guys have had defined roles their entire milb career and most likely college. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You can grit your teeth, and be all get off my lawn, and go out there and get outs. It’s your job. Unfortunately, that’s not just not working. These guys have had defined roles their entire milb career and most likely college. 

For a lot of his career Kline's role was starting pitcher.  Scott spent a year pitching three innings at a time.

Does any actual evidence exists that supports the idea that pitchers perform better when they have assigned roles?  I'm guessing no since it would be really hard to remove all the static from the data.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For a lot of his career Kline's role was starting pitcher.  Scott spent a year pitching three innings at a time.

Does any actual evidence exists that supports the idea that pitchers perform better when they have assigned roles?  I'm guessing no since it would be really hard to remove all the static from the data.

Didn’t we watch first hand while Showalter was here?  Other than that one thing, his bullpen management was masterful. 

It’s all hypothetical because everyone pretty much has the same role. We’re down 5+ go get as many outs as you can. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Didn’t we watch first hand while Showalter was here?  Other than that one thing, his bullpen management was masterful. 

It’s all hypothetical because everyone pretty much has the same role. We’re down 5+ go get as many outs as you can. 

Or maybe he had better options?

It is a lot easier to have assigned roles when the starters go deeper and you have four guys in the pen better than anyone in this pen.

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Just watched his debut. Damn that’s an electric arm. He’s the next Britton, if he’s healthy. 

Also, love the mullet!!

I think the mullet adds at least 3mph to his fastball.  Hey, it worked for Randy Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe he had better options?

It is a lot easier to have assigned roles when the starters go deeper and you have four guys in the pen better than anyone in this pen.

Of course it depends on the SP. I’ve said that in every post in this thread. 

Maybe it’s worth spending $10 million on a couple vet SP to,

1. Not be a complete embarrassment of a pitching staff. 

2. Get an accurate read on our potential bullpen arms. 

COC, as much as I like discussing stuff with you, it gets kind of pointless because you’re thing is to just question other’s ideas. Poke holes in ideas. It’s a message board. We’re all fans. Its not MASN level message board talk. 

It’s easy to be the smartest dude in the room.  But if we’re all like that, it makes for pretty boring convo around here. 

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not really, but I’d lump them in with Tate/Phillips/etc...  I think they’d be better in defined bullpen roles. Like how Buck used Castro on the “B” squad of the pen. 

In the ST bullpen format we have, I don’t think many will flourish and they haven’t. Only Means has emerged. But we’re not going to be in a position to have basically “defined” bullpen roles for a long time. 

We could have a decent pen If our rotation was top 20. 

CL - Givens

SU - Armstrong

SU/LOOGY - Fry

MR - Harvey

MR - Wojo

B squad 

LR - Rotate fresh arm from minors

2 of Castro, Bleier, Scott, Tate, Kline

But it’s an exercise in futility because Wojo will be forced to start, and is a top option for what we have in the rotation. Plus we’re a long ways of way from doing this from our internal inventory. If ever with what we have now in the organization. We will have to supplement from the draft and FA/trades. 

My overarching (conspiracy) theory is the reason why we’ve seen such few promotions in the minors is that Elias is building up the rankings, and perceived trade value of prospects. That’ll help us acquire SP when we’re ready. That was the Astros model. 

I think we will see Tate in Sept is not before and he may be good.   Harvey and Tate at the back end may push Givens to a 7th and 8th inning role that he is more comfortable with.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Of course it depends on the SP. I’ve said that in every post in this thread. 

Maybe it’s worth spending $10 million on a couple vet SP to,

1. Not be a complete embarrassment of a pitching staff. 

2. Get an accurate read on our potential bullpen arms. 

COC, as much as I like discussing stuff with you, it gets kind of pointless because you’re thing is to just question other’s ideas. Poke holes in ideas. It’s a message board. We’re all fans. Its not MASN level message board talk. 

It’s easy to be the smartest dude in the room.  But if we’re all like that, it makes for pretty boring convo around here. 

Or maybe it is just about me thinking that putting relievers into set roles limits flexibility for no real gain in performance.