The Rubber Match (vs. ROYALS, 8/21)

OFFNY

o

76% of the outs that Bundy recorded (16 out of 21) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

In his last 2 outings combined, 82% of the outs that Bundy recorded (31 out of 38) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

21 OUTS:)  7 Strikeouts, 7 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 2 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY ))))))) (vs. ROYALS, 8/20)

IP:ll7

H:lllll5 )(5 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:ll2

SO:ll7

Pitches: ll)83 )(58)Strikes, )25)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))5.03  ))  127.00 IP  (71 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))1.323  ))  127.00 IP  (168 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).254 ) (125 for 492)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 ll(81 lllStrikes, lllllllBalls)

18 ll(14 llStrikes, lllllllBalls)

14 llll(81 lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

11 llll(91 llStrikes, lllllllBalls)

61 llll(51 llStrikes, lllllllBalls)

61 llll(51 llStrikes, lllllllBalls)

17 llll(91 llStrikes,llll 8  llBalls)

o

In Roch's column before last night's game, Hyde was quoted as saying that Chris Davis was not sick or injured, but Trey Mancini was being given the start at first base in order to give him a break from playing the outfield.

Well, if Hyde wanted to give Mancini a break from playing the outfield, that was all well and good.

But when Mancini was removed from the game for pinch-runner Richie Martin and the Orioles took the lead, I was expecting Hyde to put his best defensive infield out there for the ninth inning.  That would have meant leaving Martin in the game playing short, moving Villar to second, inserting Davis at first base (taking Alberto's spot in the batting order), and leaving Ruiz at third.

He did put Martin at short and move Villar to second, but he also moved Alberto to third and Ruiz to first, leaving Davis on the bench.

There's just no way I can see Alberto at third and Ruiz at first as being a better defensive combination than Ruiz at third and Davis at first.

Anyone know if there's some reason why Davis might not be available to play in the field?

o

Mike Montgomery's raw numbers have improved considerably since being acquired from the Cubs.

His ERA (5.67 to 3.68) and WHIP (1.778 to 1.330) are both much better in almost the same number of Innings Pitched with each team.

KANSAS CITY R OYALS

Whitley Merrifield - 2B

Jorge Carlos Soler Castillo - DH

Hunter Dozier - RF

Alexander Jonathan "A.J." Gordon - LF

Cheslor Jesley "C.J." Cuthbert - 3B

Ryan O'Hearn - 1B

Meibrys John Viloria Oquendo - C

Brett Phillips - CF

Nicholas Lopez - SS

Michael Paul Montgomery - LHP )) (3-5, 4.63 ERA) ) * 

*  )) (1-2, 5.67 ERA) OOO [CHICAGO CUBS] OOOOO (2-3, 3.68 ERA) OOO [KANSAS CITY ROYALS]

BALTIMORE O RIOLES

Hanser Joel Alberto Pena - 3B

Trey Mancini - 1B

Anthony Santander - LF

Renato Nunez - DH

Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque - 2B

Pedro Severino De Leon - C

Demetrius Jerome Stewart - RF

Steve Wilkerson - CF

Richie Martin - SS

Aaron Lee Brooks - RHP )) (2-7, 6.49 ERA) ) * 

*  )) (2-3, 5.01 ERA) OOO [OAKLAND ATHLETICS] OOOOO (0-4, 9.22 ERA) OOO [BALTIMORE ORIOLES]

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Probably no Harvey tonight ........ this makes me sad.

o

Consolation prize ........ Aaron Lee Brooks got 3 outs on only 14 pitches to start the game. 

In fact, he almost did it on only 7 pitches but for an infield single by Hunter Dozier.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Consolation prize ........ Aaron Lee Brooks got 3 outs on only 14 pitches to start the game. 

In fact, he almost did it on only 7 pitches but for an infield single by Hunter Dozier.

o

o

The Royals may clean up on Brooks before all is said and done, but at least we haven't immediately been put into a big hole.

o

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's up, bedwetters ???  Ready to break this record tonight ???

3 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I should know this, but my memory is terrible these days. I know that we were within a few of the record (?)

o

Winning the rubber match of this series is much more important than the HR record in this year of the juiced ball.

I'm going to the gym ........ bring it on home, fellow Oriole fans.

o

3 hours ago, WillyM said:

In Roch's column before last night's game, Hyde was quoted as saying that Chris Davis was not sick or injured, but Trey Mancini was being given the start at first base in order to give him a break from playing the outfield.

Well, if Hyde wanted to give Mancini a break from playing the outfield, that was all well and good.

But when Mancini was removed from the game for pinch-runner Richie Martin and the Orioles took the lead, I was expecting Hyde to put his best defensive infield out there for the ninth inning.  That would have meant leaving Martin in the game playing short, moving Villar to second, inserting Davis at first base (taking Alberto's spot in the batting order), and leaving Ruiz at third.

He did put Martin at short and move Villar to second, but he also moved Alberto to third and Ruiz to first, leaving Davis on the bench.

There's just no way I can see Alberto at third and Ruiz at first as being a better defensive combination than Ruiz at third and Davis at first.

Anyone know if there's some reason why Davis might not be available to play in the field?

That move allowed him to only use one guy off the bench instead of two.  When you are dealing with a 3 or 4 man bench, one of whom is a backup C, you need to conserve some guys in case of extra innings or injury.

That's one theory, at least.