Your call up list?

wildcard

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He was also named the Orioles minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

Shame he hasn't mastered the level.

Had they called him up earlier he would not have won the MVP award. 

I figured you would respond right away. ?

I’m very happy for Mountcastle.    I can see pros and cons to bringing him up in September.

Pros:

- We get to see how ready he is for major league pitching, which makes planning for next year easier.

- It would be fun for the fans to see one of our top hitting prospects.

- Sends a good message to other minor leaguers.  

Cons:

- Makes it harder to play the service time game at the start of next year.

- Takes away at bats from other players who also need to be evaluated and who are a year or two older.

At the end of the day, I think it’s about whether or not the O’s plan to play the service time game.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m very happy for Mountcastle.    I can see pros and cons to bringing him up in September.

Pros:

- We get to see how ready he is for major league pitching, which makes planning for next year easier.

Cons:

- Takes away at bats from other players who also need to be evaluated and who are a year or two older.

At the end of the day, I think it’s about whether or not the O’s plan to play the service time game.   

Extra con: (small one)

Would require a 40 man roster move.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Extra con: (small one)

Would require a 40 man roster move.

Good point, though we have to make that move by December anyway and perhaps it’s easier to slip guys past the waiver wire this time of year when every team is doing call-ups.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was also named the Orioles minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

Shame he hasn't mastered the level.

Good for Ryan, but if this were a major league MVP vote we'd eviscerate the voters for selecting a 1B/LFer with the 40th-best OPS in the league.  He's basically a DH who was the 4th-best Norfolk Tide in hitting a baseball.  He just had the advantage of 500 plate appearances when all the players with better performances got called up months ago.

He probably got some bonus points for being one of the younger players in the league.

I wonder how many MVP votes Ryan Flaherty got?  He can field, and had an OBP 30 points higher.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Good for Ryan, but if this were a major league MVP vote we'd eviscerate the voters for selecting a 1B/LFer with the 40th-best OPS in the league.  He's basically a DH who was the 4th-best Norfolk Tide in hitting a baseball.  He just had the advantage of 500 plate appearances when all the players with better performances got called up months ago.

He probably got some bonus points for being one of the younger players in the league.

I wonder how many MVP votes Ryan Flaherty got?  He can field, and had an OBP 30 points higher.

I wasn't suggesting that he's the best player or the best prospect at his level.

I do think it is evidence that he has done enough at this level to warrant promotion.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pros:

Cons:

Doesn't this award make a 7th year of Mountcastle even more attractive?

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I’ve said for years Flash never got enough ABs! Gotta have some time for the cream to rise to the top.

?