Your call up list?

wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Roch said that a couple (I take that to be two) will be called up tomorrow.   I think that is likely to be Trumbo and Smith just because Trumbo is an established veteran and Smith has been with the team almost all season with an injury  interrupting his time of the 25 man roster.  His recent option was just roster management.

I don't want to see Mountcastle and Hays called up.   I want a 7th season of Mountcastle and Hays as quite frankly not earned it.  No reason to promote him and have him hit no better than what he is doing at AAA.

On Tuesday I hope to see the following:

Shepherd has earned a callup to the rotation along with Means, Bundy, Wojo and Brooks. I am anxious to see what he can do after an effective August at AAA.

I think we see Tanner Scott, Phillips and Cervenka who have all been pitching well lately at AAA and may help the pen.   Cervenka is a Elias pickup who looks interesting.  A lefty reliever who has a pretty good past record.

Wynn as the third catcher.   He may take playing time away for Sisco.

I want to see if Mason Williams is a better center field than Wilkerson and Santander.   And whether he will hits in the majors.  

I think the O's DFA Blach,  Eshelman and Ynoa.  The first two are pickups that did not work out and Ynoa falls in the Yacabonis category for me.  A guy out of options next year who did not prove himself this year.

What do you think?   Its all happens soon.

I'm curious about Williams' CF defense (including his throwing). I think I've asked about that a couple of times, but I don't think I saw any information or opinions in response. (And I tend to think there's somebody here who has an opinion on just about everything Oriole-related.)

I'm assuming he covers more ground that Santander and is more skilled than Wilkerson in CF, but I'm just guessing. I see he's moved around the OF -- not a career CFer -- and he just turned 28. Has anybody seen enough of Williams in CF to venture an opinion as to whether he'd be a plus, minus, or middling CF on a .500 team -- or if you like, whether he'd be a defensive upgrade over our two incumbents? 

16 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Peterson is not a threat to be claimed. He’s AAAA and would simply be outrighted. 

I know that happen once this season.  Doesn't mean he would have made it through waivers again without being claims.  Other teams have different needs  at different times.

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point is if they really liked Williams, Peterson is not someone who should have blocked him.  Wilkerson is a utility player also. Teams do not carry 2 utility players.

As between the two, Peterson was having the better year at Norfolk.   

Assets

MASON WILLIAMS

Is an excellent athlete with great range in the outfield. Generates good bat speed at the plate, as well as great speed when he is on base. Sprays the ball to all fields effectively, which adds to his batting prowess for MLB.

Flaws Does not always hustle on the field, so he needs to gain greater discipline and maturity in order to maximize his big-league output. Could also stand to add some bulk to his wiry frame so as to gain durability (and power).
Career potential Athletic outfielder.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, @wildcard, I don't get the Mason Williams excitement.  We got somewhat lucky with a Rule 5 guy in Santander producing this year but I don't believe Mason Williams is going to step up and prove himself to be a guy.  Maybe as a 2020 4th outfielder.  

But I know you need someone to cling to.  I get it.

They should just call him up and after he goes 0-4 WC will start talking about hitting him with a DFA.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, @wildcard, I don't get the Mason Williams excitement.  We got somewhat lucky with a Rule 5 guy in Santander producing this year but I don't believe Mason Williams is going to step up and prove himself to be a guy.  Maybe as a 2020 4th outfielder.  

But I know you need someone to cling to.  I get it.

Never said he was more than a 4th outfielder.  In fact, I don't know that he is even that.  Just a guy who was a career centerfield in the minors.  Drafted on the 4th round by the Yankees out of high school in 2010.  BA #32 prospect in 2013.   Grandnephew of Walt  "No Neck" Williams who played 10 years with the White Sox.

He was called up to the Yankees in 2015 and was doing well when he hurt his right non throwing shoulder for the second time in his career.  He lost a couple of years because of the injury and this year is the first time he has hit well at AAA since the injury.

I don't know what he could be at the major league level but I would like to see him come up and play some in center this September.  We have seen Wilkerson and Santander in center.  Hays progress to the majors is slow.   I think its a good time to look at him.

You guys can laugh it up all you want, just like you did when I said Little Yaz deserved a chance.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Never said he was more than a 4th outfielder.  In fact, I don't know that he is even that.  Just a guy the was a career centerfield in the minors.  Drafted on the 4th round by the Yankees out of high school in 2010.  BA #32 prospect in 2013.   Grandnephew of Walt  "No Neck" Williams who played 10 years with the White Sox.

He was called up to the Yankees in 2015 and was doing well when he hurt his right non throwing shoulder for the second time in his career.  He lost a couple of years because of the injury and this year is the first time he has hit well at AAA. 

I don't know what he could be at the major league level but I would like to see him come up and play some in center this September.  We have seen Wilkerson and Santander in center.  Hays progress to the majors is slow.   I think its a good time to look at him.

You guys can laugh it up all you want, just like you did when I said Little Yaz deserved a chance.

Are you going to say "I was right about Little Yaz!!" for years to come when talking about guys that should be given a shot?

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you going to say "I was right about Little Yaz!!" for years to come when talking about guys that should be given a shot?

I almost wish they had called him up last year and he preformed like all the data said he was going to perform.

Even with what we have seen this year, we have no reason to think he would have played well enough last year to make this year's team.