Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You're overthinking it.   

Since Elias has been GM he has add Alberto, Ruiz, Armstrong, Brooks, Eades, Wojo,  Shepherd, Blach, Martin, and Smith all for close to the minimum salary.  Some aren't very good but a few have helped the O's this season.    In each case Elias was trying to find a cheap player that is better than what he had.

I don't think the bar is very high to find a cheap catcher that is better than Sisco.  We will see how it turns out.  I think they tender Sicso but look for better talent over the off season.

You're under-thinking it.  Of course they're going to look for better talent.  They'll do that with every position.  

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You're overthinking it.   

Since Elias has been GM he has add Alberto, Ruiz, Armstrong, Brooks, Eades, Wojo,  Shepherd, Blach, Martin, and Smith all for close to the minimum salary.  Some aren't very good but a few have helped the O's this season.    In each case Elias was trying to find a cheap player that is better than what he had.

I don't think the bar is very high to find a cheap catcher that is better than Sisco.  We will see how it turns out.  I think they tender Sicso but look for better talent over the off season.

You think it is going to be easy to find a guy for free, making the minimum, that is better than Sisco?

I'll disagree.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Cool, great thoughts.

I think I will stay married with my lovely wife of 24 years,, but keep a look out for Jennifer Aniston just in case she suddenly moves to Orlando and decides she wants me.

Your scenario is probably a few orders of magnitude more probable in that my scenario has about a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of occurring while your scenario has about a 1 in 10,000 chance of occurring.  Young catchers that are ML ready with better credentials than Sisco don’t come available for nothing, but I am sure Elias will get right on scouring around for that possibility.

Since we are devoting time to low probability stuff, shall  we talk about the chances of them drilling for and finding oil in center field at Camden Yards, too?

Wieters is putting up a .6 win season, maybe he'll come back for 550K?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You're overthinking it.   

LOL a bunch of bad players and Alberto.  We could always bring Sucre back.  He cant hit or field but he could be had cheap.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Should not be too hard. Sisco is statistically replacement level. Just need to find the next Severino.

Severino was -1.1 War last season when he was 24 the same age as Sisco is now. I can only imagine how this board would react if we released Sisco and he became a star.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, and that's "easy".  Pretty sure every team would be interested in a 1 win catcher for the league minimum.

I am saying that 0 wins could be an improvement over Sisco. I am willing to concede that the lack of other options keeps him in play for now, but I am convinced that he is not a catcher long term, so what's the point?

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am saying that 0 wins could be an improvement over Sisco. I am willing to concede that the lack of other options keeps him in play for now, but I am convinced that he is not a catcher long term, so what's the point?

The point is to use him as a bridge until Rutschman arrives in 2021 because trying to find a better catcher is a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Even if you are sure Sisco won't amount to anything, innings still need to be caught next season.  He's on the 40 man, he's making the minimum. 

So even if you know he we will never get above replacement level, no reason not to keep him around for now.

Just now, vatech1994 said:

This is getting comical at this point.  Please look at the stats in the minors and majors for Severino and for Sisco.  Then please tell me you know longer think what you wrote above.  Sisco’s performance this year matches Severino’s performance this year for all practical purposes.  Severino had a 500 OPS last year in the majors at the same age Sisco is this year.  Severino never performed anywhere near Sisco levels in the minors.  Not close.  You are letting your frustration completely overwhelm logic.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/severpe01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/siscoch01.shtml

What did you say to me yesterday?

29 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

This is getting comical at this point.  Please look at the stats in the minors and majors for Severino and for Sisco.  Then please tell me you know longer think what you wrote above.  Sisco’s performance this year matches Severino’s performance this year for all practical purposes.  Severino had a 500 OPS last year in the majors at the same age Sisco is this year.  Severino never performed anywhere near Sisco levels in the minors.  Not close.  You are letting your frustration completely overwhelm logic.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/severpe01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/siscoch01.shtml

I agree that Sisco may be the least bad of our options. I still say that he is not a long term option, i.e. he is toast.

With all this Sisco being Toast talk I do believe that a reminder is needed for some. 

Currently the Orioles number one catcher by default is Pedro Severino.  He was a member of the Washington Nationals right up until March 23, 2019 when Management claimed him off waivers.  Catchers and backup players without options or that are part of a roster crunch always are waived at the end of Spring Training.  If our front office does it Due Diligence then Sisco's replacement on the Twenty-Five may become available again next spring.  Chance has one option remaining so there is time for him to "Get it right" another year in Spring Training or Norfolk.  This entire thread seems to be populated with more opinions than facts with little thought to a broader picture of things.  Thankfully this board is not running the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

With all this Sisco being Toast talk I do believe that a reminder is needed for some. 

Currently the Orioles number one catcher by default is Pedro Severino.  He was a member of the Washington Nationals right up until March 23, 2019 when Management claimed him off waivers.  Catchers and backup players without options or that are part of a roster crunch always are waived at the end of Spring Training.  If our front office does it Due Diligence then Sisco's replacement on the Twenty-Five may become available again next spring.  Chance has one option remaining so there is time for him to "Get it right" another year in Spring Training or Norfolk.  This entire thread seems to be populated with more opinions than facts with little thought to a broader picture of things.  Thankfully this board is not running the Orioles.

The broader picture of things is that you have AR in the minors so in all probability you have a starting catcher for your 2021 squad already.  There is no great need to try and pick up a possible marginal upgrade over Sisco in what is likely to be an uncompetitive season.  He's young, he's got some upside, an option to burn and he's cheap.  If he were to be released he'd be the type of guy we'd be looking to pick up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

And this comment treats Sisco as a no-upside proposition.