Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He might be an average 2B. He does not have the arm to play SS or 3B, IMO, which Flaherty could.

He has the arm for 3rd. He played it a good amount in Bowie and didn't have trouble throwing. He was playing some shortstop in the Arizona Fall League when he went. They never tried him there before, for some reason.

24 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He has the arm for 3rd. He played it a good amount in Bowie and didn't have trouble throwing. He was playing some shortstop in the Arizona Fall League when he went. They never tried him there before, for some reason.

Sisco played catcher at Bowie, that doesn't make him good. Stevie does not have a good arm. The Royals were tagging up from first base on him.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Sisco gets tendered but his spot is not secure on the roster.   If Elias sees a cheap catcher that he thinks is better this off season Sisco could be traded or DFA'd.

They have him at league minimum. He has upside and cheap YEARS of control if he realizes said potential . Not sure why the team would be actively looking to shed him. Rolling with a platoon of Severino and Sisco for 2020 sounds just fine to me. 

15 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Draft Status is only or the amount of $$$$ that was invested initially in a player.  The higher the $$$ figure the longer a player is given to succeed. IMO

Ostensibly a higher widely agreed upon level of raw talent/upside relative to significantly lower picks as well. It’s not just being blinded by draft status, as it’s often portrayed. 

56 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Well, in fairness to Wilkerson he’s probably a league average defender in the IF, but we never see him there. He’s certainly not that in the OF.

I saw him play 3rd a few games last year and second a couple games this year.  He had no range at 3rd.  

He made bonehead plays at second. There is a reason he hasnt played those positions again.

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

They have him at league minimum. He has upside and cheap YEARS of control if he realizes said potential . Not sure why the team would be actively looking to shed him. Rolling with a platoon of Severino and Sisco for 2020 sounds just fine to me. 

Elias is trying to improve the talent level in the organization.  Sisco's arm is poor.  He is not very good defensively.  That is the basics that are needed to be a good catcher.  He has had time in the majors for 2 seasons now.    If Elias sees a catcher that is cheap and has better talent I would not be surprised to see Sisco leave the organization.  No matter that he is still cheap.

Catchers being good defensively effects the pitching.   The O's will probably see some of the Bowie pitchers in the 2nd half next season.  Elias will want them to have the help of good catchers. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias is trying to improve the talent level in the organization.  Sisco's arm is poor.  He is not very good defensively.  That is the basics that are needed to be a good catcher.  He has had time in the majors for 2 seasons now.    If Elias sees a catcher that is cheap and has better talent I would not be surprised to see Sisco leave the organization.  No matter that he is still cheap.

Catchers being good defensively effects the pitching.   The O's will probably see some of the Bowie pitchers in the 2nd half next season.  Elias will want them to have the help of good catchers. 

I doubt we will see any of the Bowie pitchers next year.  Sisco will be here. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good luck finding a catcher that has better talent, is cheap AND available to be had. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He should probably replace Severino first though, as he has been worse defensively, and has less offensive upside.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He should probably replace Severino first though, as he has been worse defensively, and has less offensive upside.

Severino has the tools to be a good catcher.  He has a strong arm. And he is hitting lefty pitch for a 810 OPS.    He probably stays IMO.  He needs to improve defensively, but that is something the O's can work with him on.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I assume -- don't know but have to assume -- that there has been and will continue to be planning by the Orioles for how to mesh the timing of those promotions and Rutschman's. If highly regarded pitchers (the ones who aren't injured) arrive a bit earlier than Adley, I don't think this is a problem. If the gap gets large, or circumstances otherwise change, I agree it might make sense for the Orioles to pick up a veteran catcher for the interim.

Bringing in new catching talent is not something that requires the team's attention now, IMO. There are plenty of spots that need, over the next twelve months, more thought, decision-making and possible importing of talent from outside the organization. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Severino has the tools to be a good catcher.  He has a strong arm. And he is hitting lefty pitch for a 810 OPS.    He probably stays IMO.  He needs to improve defensively, but that is something the O's can work with him on.

How come he can improve but Sisco can't? 

• Upvote 1