Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

I’ve been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for some time now, but this is not the first time he’s thrown the ball poorly.

I really think he’s got a good approach at the plate, too, but it hasn’t made s difference so far. 

Also, does anyone else think he’s heavy? I mean, he’s big and not in a good way.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ve been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for some time now, but this is not the first time he’s thrown the ball poorly.

I really think he’s got a good approach at the plate, too, but it hasn’t made s difference so far. 

Also, does anyone else think he’s heavy? I mean, he’s big and not in a good way.

Definitely noticed he bulked up a good amount since last season. It seemed to be more "muscle" in the Spring, but has gone more to his stomach and he seems "softer."

Maybe it's the Big League food?

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Catcher is one position you just can't play if you have the yips. Hate to give up on a #2 draft pick but I think he is holding back the rebuild.

He hit a homer and still managed to singehandedly lose a winnable game for us.

Sorry to vent but I have seen enough.

What happened (or didn't happen)?

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

If the infielders made the catch on those two catchable balls, would we be having this discussion?

They were terrible throws. I mean yes they could have been caught but they were awful. Plus he easily could have left the one ball roll foul. 

The throw to third was a short throw. 

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If he had made a good throw in those situations, would we be having this discussion?

Yeah. I saw some decent signs earlier this year but overall I just don’t see enough quality with his glove. 

His bat has been better than last year but he hasn’t done much last couple of months  

45 minutes ago, LA2 said:

What happened (or didn't happen)?

On three consecutive plays (game tied in the 8th):

-misplayed a drag bunt that he could have grabbed and thrown to first or wait to see if it goes foul (instead picks it up fair but doesnt throw)

-sac bunt in front of him, terrible throw to second that would have been in time but bounces 6 feet in front of Alberto

-sac bunt in front of him again, throws wide of third (charged with error) to load the bases, nobody out. Two runs score on sac fly and grounder.

I see no reason to make a change at this point. Hope he gets better but it isn't like we need to go out and make a trade for a long term solution at catcher. Give him another year, he and Severino will both be making the minimum again next year and then decide after next season if either is a suitable backup to Rutschman.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I see no reason to make a change at this point. Hope he gets better but it isn't like we need to go out and make a trade for a long term solution at catcher. Give him another year, he and Severino will both be making the minimum again next year and then decide after next season if either is a suitable backup to Rutschman.

I'd rather see Wynns back.

• Upvote 2