Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

15 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t think Hays needs AFL. Put him in the lineup every night for the remainder on the season and get someone else the AFL experience. Maybe Diaz, maybe Grenier.

Agreed. Hays is the OD centerfielder right now. Love the guy. He almost plays too hard. I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. Love it though. 

Hays needs major league at-bats.  His injuries have only interrupted his development and slowed down his path to the majors - they have not IMO impacted him physically to downgrade his potential impact from where it was two years ago.  Hays has dominated AA, dominated Spring Training, has a large number of at-bats at AA and above, and should be (and as I advocated - should have been) in the major leagues.

I think our front office has shown with the very slow advancement of our better prospects - Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz, Stewart and pretty much all SPs at AA and above - that the name of this game is delaying service time and, as a result, most guys will get their opportunities starting next year.  I would have preferred to have this happen more this season, but that's not how the AP version of Delaying Service Time is handled.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nice that you remembered our posts.  Many don't.

I just went back - they are on pp. 2-3 of this thread (on my phone, this is p. 12).    We were talking more about statistical performance (specifically, how he hit this Sept.) than anything else.    I still think Hays’ offensive performance won’t tell us that much, but I’d rather see him do well than poorly, for sure.   Right now he’s at .333/.379/.481, so no complaints there.   But as I said, beyond the numbers, I just like his style of play a lot.    He was already my favorite prospect (which doesn’t mean I think he’s our best prospect, just that I personally like following him), and he’s done nothing to change that so far this September.    

Just now, fansince1988 said:

Nice catch at the wall against the Jays. That was an amazing play. I didn't enjoy watching the beating on the chest afterwards. It was silly, and completely uncalled for in a meaningless season. Never would have happened under Buck.

I enjoyed the youthful enthusiasm.  It wasn’t meaningless to Hays.     

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Nice catch at the wall against the Jays. That was an amazing play. I didn't enjoy watching the beating on the chest afterwards. It was silly, and completely uncalled for in a meaningless season. Never would have happened under Buck.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/adam-jones-makes-leaping-catch-dances/c-183459876

And now on Sprockets is when we dance.  (after a catch)

• Thanks 1

Are you really comparing him to AJ10?

You said that sort of thing " Never would have happened under Buck.".  You don't think Adam's little sidestep is showboating?

Unless of course you mean Buck would have ripped a rookie for doing the type of stuff a vet was allowed to do.

You might be right if that was the point you were making.

Buck allowed AJ10 to carry on with the pie stuff, which I always though was beyond silly. I couldn't stand watching the post game pies. Beating on the chest after making a great catch, that's not my idea of baseball. Especially 100 loss baseball.

But that little dance Jones did is fine?

Odd lines you draw.

They are kids, let 'em be kids.

Vlad didn't mind.

• Upvote 2

Buck allowed AJ10 to carry on with the pie stuff, which I always though was beyond silly. I couldn't stand watching the post game pies. Beating on the chest after making a great catch, that's not my idea of baseball. Especially 100 loss baseball.

I’m not a fan of players calling attention to themselves, but to me that was just a spontaneous moment from a very young player who made a great play.   Bothers me far less than a guy standing around posing after a homer.    

3 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I didn't know Brian McCann posted here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3