Baltimore Baseball: Koby Perez talks to Dubroff

weams

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/09/10/koby-perez-discusses-role-orioles-international-scouting-director/

“We’re really excited about a left-handed pitcher named Luis Ortiz. He’s pretty advanced for his age as far as pitchability and stuff is concerned. He may be one of the guys that can move quickly.

“There’s a left-handed hitting outfielder named Luis Gonzalez who has a lot of physical ability. He’s a little cruder, so to say than what the pitcher is. The upside is there. He may need a little seasoning, but he has a really big upside.

“We signed a couple of good Venezuelan pitchers, one named Moises Chace, who’s pretty advanced for his age. He will be participating here in the Instructional League as well as the other two guys [from] the D.R …We signed 27 of them, and I could go on and on about each kid having an attribute that we like, but those [three] kids stand out.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

A few interesting points

1.  He says if intl signs out of Latin America are going to make it to the MLB, it takes about 4-8 years.  So we won't much contribution from our intl signs until 2025ish?

2.It sounds like our facilities need some upgrades down there in the Dominican.

3. They are already talking class of 2021.  So they are scouting kids as young as 14.  Thats 8th-9th grade age here in the states.

4. Sucks to be from or go to Venezuela right now.  I wonder if future generations will even have time to consider playing baseball in the future there. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

A few interesting points

1.  He says if intl signs out of Latin America are going to make it to the MLB, it takes about 4-8 years.  So we won't much contribution from our intl signs until 2025ish?

2.It sounds like our facilities need some upgrades down there in the Dominican.

3. They are already talking class of 2021.  So they are scouting kids as young as 14.  Thats 8th-9th grade age here in the states.

4. Sucks to be from or go to Venezuela right now.  I wonder if future generations will even have time to consider playing baseball in the future there. 

This sure does not seem to be a five year plan that is being set up. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, weams said:

I guess that depends on whether they gather inventory and use it to trade for a TOR starter or other pieces. I suppose that remains to be seen. 

It pleases me that there is a long term plan for growth and sustainability. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Has Elias ever called it a 5 year plan? My recollection is that he has been unwilling to place a timeframe on how long it will take because he is attempting to build sustained success.

11 hours ago, weams said:

The top draft picks will be here in 5 years, our Latin American participation will be how we can sustain success. Imagine the 2012 run with all of our top picks hitting the team at once, well after that we were done when their contracts were up. I see us being good again in 2023 and our Latin American presence supplementing an idea of sustained success. 

Perez could be more influential than Sig. Look at the Astros this year, they’ve had their run because of their drafted prospects performing. They’ve also used their prospects as currency to buy top talent. Now they’re supplementing what they already had with Alvarez, Gurriel, Toro, Diaz,  Valdez, etc....

I like the real long term vision. It doesn’t require so much luck.