Diaz does not need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft

wildcard

According to Roch:

A team official said outfielder Yusniel Diaz doesn’t need to be protected because he “gets a fifth year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-work-to-be-done-after-orioles-conclude-season.html

This is a change from what I thought before. The rule states:

(A club has 5 years to evaluate a player who signs his first pro contract at 18 years old or younger, but only 4 years to decide on a player who signs at age 19.)

Diaz was born on October 7 1996.   His signing by the Dodgers was announced on November 22, 2015.   That would have made him 19.  But the announcement did say he was 18.   He must have been sign before October 7, 2015  and the announcement came later.

Here is the announcement:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/dodgers-sign-yusniel-diaz.html

If Diaz does get another year that  gives the O's another spot on the 40 man roster this fall to work with.

• Upvote 4

So based on the previous thread on the subject, and the fangraphs website, this appears to be a list, as complete as I can make it, of the guys we have who are Rule 5 eligible in December:

Keegan Akin
Christian Alvarado
Martin Cervenka
Tanner Chlerobad
Brett Cumberland
Seamus Curran
Mathias Dietz
Tyler Erwin
Jaylen Ferguson
Gray Fenter
Jay Flaa
Luis Gonzalez
Bryan Gonzalez
Dean Kremer
Ryan McKenna

Kirvin Moesquit
Ryan Mountcastle
Zack Muckenhirn
Preston Palmeiro
Ofelky Peralta
Luis Perez
Jomar Reyes
Ademar Rifaela
Cody Sedlock
Chandler Shepherd
Nick Vespi

To me, there were 5 no-doubt obvious protects who have to be moved to the 40 man roster.   After that, there are a few others that you can certainly make a case for,  but not sure things in my opinion.

Certainly we have enough dead weight on the 40 man to easily make room for 5 of these guys.   Probably more.

• Upvote 2

I would definitely protect Gray Fenter.  If left unprotected some organization will surely draft him and try to stash him in the bullpen.  He has battled back from TJ surgery and is now showing why the O's drafted him out of high school as a million dollar bonus baby.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I would definitely protect Gray Fenter.  If left unprotected some organization will surely draft him and try to stash him in the bullpen.  He has battled back from TJ surgery and is now showing why the O's drafted him out of high school as a million dollar bonus baby.

The jump from Delmarva to MLB is almost as big as it gets. I think he may go undrafted if left off. 

11 minutes ago, oriole said:

The jump from Delmarva to MLB is almost as big as it gets. I think he may go undrafted if left off. 

He probably wouldn't get drafted, but stranger things have happened. Last year the Blue Jays took 19-year-old Elvis Luciano, who hadn't pitched above rookie ball, in the Rule 5 draft. And he even held his own in the majors with a 5.35 ERA in 25 games. I could see a scenario where a rebuilding club takes a chance on drafting Fenter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So based on the previous thread on the subject, and the fangraphs website, this appears to be a list, as complete as I can make it, of the guys we have who are Rule 5 eligible in December:

Keegan Akin
Christian Alvarado
Martin Cervenka
Tanner Chlerobad
Brett Cumberland
Seamus Curran
Mathias Dietz
Tyler Erwin
Jaylen Ferguson
Gray Fenter
Jay Flaa
Luis Gonzalez
Bryan Gonzalez
Dean Kremer
Ryan McKenna

Kirvin Moesquit
Ryan Mountcastle
Zack Muckenhirn
Preston Palmeiro
Ofelky Peralta
Luis Perez
Jomar Reyes
Ademar Rifaela
Cody Sedlock
Chandler Shepherd
Nick Vespi

To me, there were 5 no-doubt obvious protects who have to be moved to the 40 man roster.   After that, there are a few others that you can certainly make a case for,  but not sure things in my opinion.

Certainly we have enough dead weight on the 40 man to easily make room for 5 of these guys.   Probably more.

Now, there are easily ten players I could take off the current roster to make room for players but I don't think Sedlock and McKenna are no-brainers.

Akin, Kremer and Mountcastle are the no brainers...

Mckenna, Fenter, Klimek (who you don't have) and Sedlock are the next level to consider.

Alvarado, Cumberland and Muickenhirm are the only others I'd give any consideration to.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now, there are easily ten players I could take off the current roster to make room for players but I don't think Sedlock and McKenna are no-brainers.

Akin, Kremer and Mountcastle are the no brainers...

Mckenna, Fenter, Klimek (who you don't have) and Sedlock are the next level to consider.

Alvarado, Cumberland and Muickenhirm are the only others I'd give any consideration to.

I could see Muckinhirn not being protected or drafted, having a good spring, starting off pretty good in Norfolk and getting to Baltimore in May.

I don't see the hype in Cumberland. He has been projected as a "bat first" catcher who should be moved from behind the plate, as his durability seems to be an issue (almost like he caught the Susac bug.)

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

It sucks to be a 22 year old prospect.  Now they'll keep him in AAA all of 2020 and through the first  couple of weeks of 2021 (depending on how the new CBA is expected to look with relation to service time).

I’m not sure the roster will be handled the same next year as this year. I could see a number of scenarios where Diaz gets called up. For one, I think about mid season it will make sense to have talent learning how to win together. 

Anyway I hope so. I’d like to start seeing interesting guys like Diaz and some of this years AA pitchers.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Keegan Akin
Christian Alvarado
Martin Cervenka
Tanner Chlerobad
Brett Cumberland
Seamus Curran
Mathias Dietz
Tyler Erwin
Jaylen Ferguson
Gray Fenter
Jay Flaa
Luis Gonzalez
Bryan Gonzalez
Dean Kremer
Ryan McKenna

Kirvin Moesquit
Ryan Mountcastle
Zack Muckenhirn
Preston Palmeiro
Ofelky Peralta
Luis Perez
Jomar Reyes
Ademar Rifaela
Cody Sedlock
Chandler Shepherd
Nick Vespi

Why is Chandler Shepherd Rule 5 eligible considering he’s already debuted?

He’s going to be gone anyway