Who's getting a handwritten note?

Moose Milligan

From Connolly in THE ATHLETIC @TonySoprano

Well, the new-look Orioles did it old-school in September.

Think pen, thank you notes and snail-mail.

Seriously.

Like most teams, the Orioles held a Fan Appreciation Weekend during the last homestand of the year that featured special giveaways and some opportunities to interact with players.

But they added an extra wrinkle, suggested by Kristen Hudak, the club’s director of public relations, that should start appearing in mailboxes this week throughout the region.

During that homestand, Hudak gave the majority of the club’s players a piece of blank Orioles stationery, each slightly larger than an index card. And she asked the ballplayers to hand-write a note to randomly selected season ticket holders. She didn’t tell the players what to write, just a brief “thank you,” in their own words.

“I wasn’t sure what the reaction would be. The guys that I spoke to about it were immediately supportive. I saw many of them sit down and start writing right away. It felt like they had something on their minds or something they wanted to say and that was an opportunity for them to do it in a heartfelt way,” Hudak said. “And then, when I started to collect them, I was just really touched and moved by their answers and the time that they took to be thoughtful.”

Before she distributed the cards, she discussed the concept with leadership from other departments and was told to try it. She also ran the idea past veteran first baseman Chris Davis as a courtesy to make sure the players would be on board, and, “he was very supportive of it.” Fan services selected a group of ticket holders with various season plans and gave Hudak the names.

Then, she carried out the plan. And the players ran with it.

More at:  https://theathletic.com/1262978/2019/10/03/mom-would-be-so-proud-orioles-players-send-handwritten-thank-you-notes-to-fans-after-108-loss-season/

Who's got the warm and fuzzies?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's some quality penmanship on display.

Based on the #55, looks like it's Dillon Tate as the front and center letter. 

"I appreciate your support in being a season ticket holder. As you probably have seen, there is work to be done. Something I've learned this year is that one's outlook on any given situation has a lot to do with the result. I'm confident that things will improve. Progress is progress, no matter how little. The O's are moving in the right direction! Thank you for your continuous support."

That's a nice note. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Based on the #55, looks like it's Dillon Tate as the front and center letter. 

"I appreciate your support in being a season ticket holder. As you probably have seen, there is work to be done. Something I've learned this year is that one's outlook on any given situation has a lot to do with the result. I'm confident that things will improve. Progress is progress, no matter how little. The O's are moving in the right direction! Thank you for your continuous support."

That's a nice note. 

Who is the one to right the right of Tate's? Awesome signature!