MiLB contraction

weams

MLB also wants to completely rework the PDC process to ensure that MLB clubs can be ensured of MiLB affiliates that meet their desires geographically. To do so, they want to eliminate the current two-year PDC process and replace it with much longer-lasting MLB-MiLB franchise agreements. Doing so would give the MLB clubs much more certainty, but it would also eliminate the negotiating leverage MiLB teams currently have every two years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Teams would be limited to 5 affiliates, 4 of which are "MiLB" teams and 1 "complex" (Gulf Coast/Arizona Rookie)

So the Orioles would lose 1 of Norfolk, Bowie, Frederick, Delmarva, or Aberdeen.

Sounds like Aberdeen would need to move up to a full-season team. Since Bowie doesn't seem to be interested in upgrading that old out o date Prince George's county Stadium, it could make some sense to move them to AA and contract Bowie.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Sounds like Aberdeen would need to move up to a full-season team. Since Bowie doesn't seem to be interested in upgrading that old out o date Prince George's county Stadium, it could make some sense to move them to AA and contract Bowie.

Tony-OH I know you know more than I.

But my memory is, they built Bowie Stadium to AAA standards, because they wanted to get the AAA team out of NY. Seams to me Frederick was built to AA standards, with the idea of getting the AA team.

Did they change the standards?????

Is 1994, really that old for a MIL park?

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, I would hate it, I actually like going to Bowie, nice stadium, great parking, and 20 minute drive.....LOL 

Aberdeen is like, forget it, read about it online. :)

Yea it's literally the exact opposite for me.  I'm like 15-20 minutes from Aberdeen.   Free parking, no tolls.........

That's a pretty fascinating article. MLB would save money and the talent would be better concentrated at the MiLB level. Less org guys everywhere. I bet there would have to be a waiver type of process for players coming from the dream leagues to the MiLB affiliates so all the best players can't just choose the same organization. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

MLB also wants to completely rework the PDC process to ensure that MLB clubs can be ensured of MiLB affiliates that meet their desires geographically. To do so, they want to eliminate the current two-year PDC process and replace it with much longer-lasting MLB-MiLB franchise agreements. Doing so would give the MLB clubs much more certainty, but it would also eliminate the negotiating leverage MiLB teams currently have every two years.

Not in any way surprised MLB wants to eliminate the tiny leverage MiLB teams currently have.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The impact on the cities that lose teams?

Lost of jobs/revenue.

Or there could be three new Indy Leagues pop up, with most of the stadiums and cities carrying on like nothing much happened.  If the business case is there without MLB subsidies.

If MLB eliminated the entire Florida State League no one would notice.  I think the average game there draws 1000 fans.  It's hard to believe any of those teams would be fiscally solvent without MLB support.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or there could be three new Indy Leagues pop up, with most of the stadiums and cities carrying on like nothing much happened.  If the business case is there without MLB subsidies.

If MLB eliminated the entire Florida State League no one would notice.  I think the average game there draws 1000 fans.  It's hard to believe any of those teams would be fiscally solvent without MLB support.

I was thinking more rural america, where they actually love the minor league game.