MiLB contraction

weams

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess.  The median per-game attendance in the Midwest League is about 3100 fans.  About the same in the Southern League.  Six of the ten teams in the Appy League averaged under 1000 fans a game.

So about what the Marlins draw.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimGinSP said:

So the cost of adding a 26th player to the MLB roster in 2020 is about 1 million (considering minimum salary, travel expenses, meal money, medial care and insurances).  How much does the average short season MiLB team cost their parent club?  

Let's guess... they pay the players for the months they play, so 3-4 months.  We'll go crazy and say $1500 per player per month.  And add on 50% for the bus and insurance and some other stuff.  20 players per team?  Plus 3-4 coaches.  That's $180k.  If I'm off by 100% it's $360k.  So half a Stevie Wilkerson, give or take.

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

In addition to the effect on the town jobs and economy it’s about 1080 less baseball players. 

I think the idea is rather than play organizational MiLB players a higher wage, simply remove the need for them. 

From the standpoint of the players, I don’t like the idea of bumping the draft back to August.    You’ve got high school kids deciding whether to go to college, and college juniors deciding whether to come back for their senior year.   Most colleges start up in late August, and that’s awfully late for these kids to be making those decisions.    

On the other hand, it would probably be great for the Cape Cod League, other college-age summer leagues and the summer high school showcases.    And, the teams would have even better information before they drafted.    

So, good for MLB and not so good for the kids.    It’ll probably happen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From the standpoint of the players, I don’t like the idea of bumping the draft back to August.    You’ve got high school kids deciding whether to go to college, and college juniors deciding whether to come back for their senior year.   Most colleges start up in late August, and that’s awfully late for these kids to be making those decisions.    

On the other hand, it would probably be great for the Cape Cod League, other college-age summer leagues and the summer high school showcases.    And, the teams would have even better information before they drafted.    

So, good for MLB and not so good for the kids.    It’ll probably happen.

JJ Cooper corrected the original article, the draft would be moved to after the college world series, not to August. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

JJ Cooper corrected the original article, the draft would be moved to after the college world series, not to August. 

That makes more sense. Imagine not having an Adley Rutschman to talk about last summer and watch in person.

From a marketing standpoint you want your picks seen as early as possible. 

I think from a player development standpoint this all makes sense. 

The issue is you are removing baseball from towns. That would reduce baseball fans it seems to me. Baseball does not have built in marketing machines like the NFL and NBA have. College football and basketball have stars that the average sports fan knows. The average fan does not know Adley Rutchsman.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

That makes more sense. Imagine not having an Adley Rutschman to talk about last summer and watch in person.

From a marketing standpoint you want your picks seen as early as possible. 

I don't think it's much of an impact.  Outside of the Hangout there can't be 1000 Marylanders who know who Adley Rutschman is.

Yes, that includes the 442 people who went to a Delmarva or Aberdeen game specifically to see him.

16 hours ago, atomic said:

Seems the lawsuit from minor league players about not getting paid for spring training is doing this.  They need to pay minor league players more money and give them better nutrition and facilities.  So eliminate the players who have no chance to make it to the majors.  They want to cut draft to 25 rounds.  

This to me would seem to be in the MLB clubs' best interest. So the players aren't eating McD's or Burger King on the bus. Develop your players skills but also develop their fitness and health as well.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, scOtt said:

This to me would seem to be in the MLB clubs' best interest. So the players aren't eating McD's or Burger King on the bus. Develop your players skills but also develop their fitness and health as well.

Packed bologna and cheese box sandwich meals. :) :) :)

Hey, it was good enough for me back in the days of my schooling.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think it's much of an impact.  Outside of the Hangout there can't be 1000 Marylanders who know who Adley Rutschman is.

Yes, that includes the 442 people who went to a Delmarva or Aberdeen game specifically to see him.

The Orioles benefit from having local MiL teams. I get your point but any promotion of players even on a smaller scale is beneficial. 

On 10/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Oh, I’d bet there are plenty of Marylanders outside the Hangout who know who Rutschman is.    Roch Kubatko has 56,000 followers and I’d bet the majority could tell you who Rutschman is.   The Hangout may be the best site for getting Orioles info and discussion, but it’s not the only one.

• Upvote 1