Jealous

Frobby

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not saying they didn't spend or won't when they have a shot of winning. It's the few here that insist they are poor that I was directing the post at. Frobby was that guy either.

I see those crying poor on OH from time to time, and we dived into it from time to time.

For me, does the team travel well, or do they nickel and dime the guys, cheap hotels, etc. For those in the know, like Tony-OH, they say thats not the case.

Another thing for me, are they like the Bidwell owned NFL team, that would not supply soap, shampoo or buy WR game day gloves to catch the ball with. He figured they were all making good money and they were on their own. Personally, that it tightwad to the extreme.  Good ownership takes care of their people and their people perform better.

Before Sarasota they were frugal with ST money and it showed. I think dumping money and getting their own facility was crucial and long needed. To me, Sarasota is something that is an investment into the team and money well spent. Some would just complain it was long overdue and decline to get credit where credit is due. (No pun intended)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Stanley Cup Game 7 had a 4.9 rating. 8.7M. That was crushed. 

NBA finals many years out rate the WS. The NBA also does not get the ratings it did years ago. 

Stanley Cup ratings have not been dropping.  And NBA ratings don't seem to be going down either.  

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Although an argument can be made that the Nats have been a thing for 14 years, and Washington first had pro baseball circa 1872.

To that I would say that 14 years is a short time in a league of 30 teams. For the old timers who predate the Nats, they should still be O's fans.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To that I would say that 14 years is a short time in a league of 30 teams. For the old timers who predate the Nats, they should still be O's fans.

You probably have a group that likes both.

When the Colts left I rooted for the Packers. When the Ravens came O embraced them but still like the Packers.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder (1) what it cost, (2) how much they recouped, and (3) how much they paid in premiums for other players that did or didn’t result in a recovery.   

Good questions. I did find this old post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2001/04/12/a-big-insurance-hit/42be2684-c5b4-4cfa-b685-31beb5816f50/

Basically, it sounds like they insured 70% of the contract. No information about cost, citing privacy issues.

It did impact the players, and drove insurance costs up.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You probably have a group that likes both.

When the Colts left I rooted for the Packers. When the Ravens came O embraced them but still like the Packers.

When the Nats arrived I told myself they’d be my NL team.   I mean, why not have one?   For several years, I was part of a group that held season tickets to the Nats and went to about 5 games a year. And though I enjoyed going to those games, I could just never get passionate about the Nats.    I gave the tickets up when they jacked the price up by 67% a couple of years ago.     I haven’t paid to attend a Nats game since, though I’ve gone to a few when I was invited.    And the only time I watch them on TV during the regular season is if “O’s Extra” ends and they switch over to the Nats game.    If that happens, I’ll sometimes watch for an inning or so.   But I dislike their announcers, so I won’t watch long.   

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

did not know, thank you.

I should add that teams can use alternate transportation if their destination is within a set number of miles. I don’t know the exact number but the O’s are allowed a shuttle bus to play in DC or Philly and maybe even New York