Who will be the #13 and #14 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who will be the #13 and #14 prospects?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the #13 and #14 prospects?

• Hanifee and Wells
    • McKenna and Rom
    • Rom and Stowers
    • Wells and Hanifee
    • Wells and Rom

This poll is closed to new votes

Hmm, 2 of the options seem rather similar.  

I echo this being a tough one.  I'm not ready to right off either Hanifee or McKenna.  Stowers didn't show enough at Aberdeen to be there, but I'm not sure who else to eliminate.  Wells being a lefty who gets the job done so consistently - I'm going to assume he's one of the 2.  Maybe Wells and Hanifee or Hanifee and Wells?  ;)  Neither, I'll go with Chuck's pick - Wells and Rom.    

I went with Wells and Rom, two guys who don’t have blazing fastballs but get the job done.   I like Hanifee and McKenna, but neither progressed well this year, so they should take a step back IMO.    Stowers is a wild card but I’m not ready to put him above two guys who performed well at a young age in their leagues.   

Of the names on that list, I wanted to see a Rom/Hanifee choice. I didn't. If Wells in in there, I wouldn't be shocked. I went with Rom and Stowers though. 

The names I wanted to see were Adam Hall and Hernaiz. Just shows that I get out of my depth pretty quickly at this point in the list. I do think the range of probabilities for these guys are wider than they are towards the top of the list. Some could click big time. Most are more likely to miss altogether (compared to guys higher on the list). 

I personally like Hanifee more just because I think you need to be an exceptional pitcher to succeed without much velocity. Rom and Wells each have that issue, but each might actually be pretty exceptional at the non-velocity part of the game. Hanifee has more natural arm talent, but didn't have a good year. He's probably unlikely here, but I like the upside if it's still there.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

This one is tough but I went with Wells and Rom.  I had Rom at #13 on my list and did not have any of the other choices higher than #20.  I suspect Tony/Luke have Wells in this range. 

I think one of them has to be Wells as they have him listed 3 times.  

I think McKenna has too much upside to fall much further. He had a lousy year but he was only 22, and it is said that the jump from A+ to AA is the toughest jump in the minors. The defense and speed are there, that if the bat takes a step forward at all, he will be a solid MLB player. If not, he could still be a fourth outfielder.

I think he sold out a little bit for power this year, and the power didn't really come. Bowie is very much a pitcher's park and the Eastern League is a pitcher's league. Curious what he does this coming year with the MLB ball if he ends up at AAA.

While Wells has had nothing but success at the minor league level, there just aren't any examples of pitchers succeeding at the MLB level with his velocity, and that makes it tough to put him this high on a prospect list.

As an aside, I can't find the article, but in one of their articles last week, either Melewski or Roch said that the MLB ball would be at Bowie next year as well. I meant to post about it, but I forgot and now I can't find the article. Curious whether anybody else caught this, it certainly hasn't been widely reported.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think McKenna has too much upside to fall much further. He had a lousy year but he was only 22, and it is said that the jump from A+ to AA is the toughest jump in the minors. The defense and speed are there, that if the bat takes a step forward at all, he will be a solid MLB player. If not, he could still be a fourth outfielder.

I think he sold out a little bit for power this year, and the power didn't really come. Bowie is very much a pitcher's park and the Eastern League is a pitcher's league. Curious what he does this coming year with the MLB ball if he ends up at AAA.

Saw this note on McKenna, likely in an Athletic article:

The same scout said outfielder Ryan McKenna played a big league center field, but was ill-suited for the power game.

“He’s afflicted with the launch-angle syndrome,” the scout said. “It’s not for him.”

And I also remember seeing the note on the MLB ball going to AA but can't find it now. 

• Upvote 2